TR: North Emigrant June 24-28 2022

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: North Emigrant June 24-28 2022

Post by kpeter »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:54 am I have a different view of horses on wilderness trails. Emigrant Wilderness has a history of horse use and is one of the few places left in the Sierra that is "horse-friendly". I am perfectly fine with that. Those who dislike horse use have plenty of other places to go. The "down" side is that horses do impact trails more than backpackers; the "up" side is that they keep a lot of trails open whereas without horse use the trails would likely become overgrown, particularly when public agencies lace budgets to maintain trails. There, of course, are some "bad" outfitters just like there are some "bad" backpackers. But most outfitters follow the rules, keep their camps clean and those I have met have been very polite and friendly.
I have never been anti-horse, WD. I realize that--especially in the Sierra--horse packers are one of the main lobby groups defending the wilderness. I fought hard for wilderness designation in new areas in my youth (in Idaho) and it was often the economic benefits of the resorts and packers that carried the day to designation. Backpackers alone would never have succeeded. So those of us who love wilderness need to see horse packers as allies, not foes. Furthermore, horse packers also were at one point chiefly responsible for building most of the trails we use--back in the days before the backpacking hip belt when backpacking was not a practical way for most people to access the wilderness. I also anticipate I might use them myself one day when I am no longer capable of going on my own.

I am however concerned that trail maintenance needs to keep up with the beating that multiple pack trains a day can put on a trail. Whether the budget to do that comes from the horse packers themselves, or elsewhere, it needs to come from somewhere. It is not right that one group's use of the trail creates unmitigated dangers to another group.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report. It was also nice to see photos that overlapped partly with the trip I took last summer (overlap of Emigrant Meadow/Middle Emigrant/Emigrant L). I'd agree that Emigrant L. is a special place. I like the high austere (but commonly wildflower-adorned) landscape around Emigrant Meadow and High Emigrant too.

Regarding Kennedy Meadows, I have long avoided it as a takeoff point because of the weaknesses you mention, including the fact that Kennedy Meadows is one of the lowest trailheads for entering Emigrant Wilderness, and the fact that it is a long time before has the feeling of reaching the backcountry (owing to the distance to get past Relief Res.). I like Leavitt Lake for getting to northeastern Emigrant. Although Leavitt Lakes requires 4WD to reach and the trail has monster ups-and-downs, it puts you in high backcountry from the first stride from the car.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Thanks for that great , detailed TR. I was up there about the same time. I was up at Emigrant lake, catching and releasing big rainbows. The weather was excellent. Cool and cloudy, with some hail and rain. I love the whole area , except the mile and a half through Kennedy Meadows to get to the actual wilderness.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

Nice TR, thank you for posting. It brings back memories of one of my very best trips ever!
Yes, coming out of KM is torture, but WOW I loved those bridges. When I was there, most of those meadows were carpeted in lupines. The Relief Callie’s were carpeted in flowers of all colors, including lumping. I mean literally carpeted! I think that I sent you the link to my TR before your trip. I am glad that you liked Emigrant, one of my favorites. I too marveled at how the trail touches the water! I have those exact pictures!
Buck is hands down my favorite camping spot! I love that place!!
Both times I stayed at wire, once on a trip out of Gianelli and the one time out of KM, the mosquitos were voracious! A positive 4 the second time, on our HST scale and a 3 on the other. However, it is a lovely place.
I can see how one might find part boring without the flowers. Too bad you missed the show!
rormisto
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rormisto »

Absolutely brilliant TR, thank you so much! Emigrant is one of the parts of the Sierra that I've really yet to do anything in; I've definitely jotted down a few places as "to-visit" in the past, glad to get some more info on several of those here. And the photos are absolutely stunning. Meadows indeed.

I also really resonate with the idea of using packers once my feet can't get me places anymore. I've met some really, really incredible folks who were doing just that, and I think it successfully implanted the idea in my brain.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yes, at some point, many of us "old goats" may have to enlist "pack goats" to continue backpacking! :D
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

both the USGS maps and my GPS indicated an intersection with another trail that continues along the shoreline and departs the lake at its outlet, heading down to Cow Meadow Lake. But I never saw that trail or that intersection, and considering that the whole wilderness has recently been re-signed with fresh posts marking each intersection, I wonder what the explanation is? Map Builder overlay on Cal Topo no longer shows this trail—is it now completely gone?
There is a use trail/trails to the outlet of Emigrant but there are few legal places to camp on that end of the lake. This trail is a bit of a scramble but isn't too tough or hard to find. A little exploring and you will find it.

The trail from the Emigrant Lake Outlet to Cow Meadow is on old maps but is unmaintained. I haven't hiked it personally but spoke with someone who I crossed paths with in Cow Meadow. He said it was "overgrown, hard to navigate and unpleasant".

Do you know what Kennedy Meadows Resort charges to park in their lot?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

"Do you know what Kennedy Meadows Resort charges to park in their lot?"

The Forest Service maintains the free backpacker parking lot that is less than a half-mile north of the resort.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

bobby49 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:42 am "Do you know what Kennedy Meadows Resort charges to park in their lot?"

The Forest Service maintains the free backpacker parking lot that is less than a half-mile north of the resort.
The distance is more like a mile or a little more. I found it annoying--it would be less so if I were in a group and could drop the packs at the actual trailhead and then walk, pack-less, from the remote lot. At one point the Kennedy Meadows resort charged $5 a night for parking, but that could have changed.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

4/10ths of a mile