Trip advice: Lamarck/Wonder Lakes or Piute pass/Humphrey Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sandiegonate
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Trip advice: Lamarck/Wonder Lakes or Piute pass/Humphrey Basin

Post by sandiegonate »

Hi folks, just found out my company is shutting down next week so I'm gonna squeeze in a trip with my 9 year old German shorthair pointer after the 4th. He's done overnighters with me in the San Gorgonio and San Jacinto mtns, but not the Sierra. I'm just looking for some nice scenery and some semblance of solitude without having to put in too many miles just in case something happens with my dog. Here's a couple options I'm considering:

#1: Drive up from San Diego, hike in to loch Leven or Piute Lake 1st night, then spend 2 nights in Humphreys Basin and exploring the area

#2: Drive up then hike to lower Lamarck Lake the 1st night, then 2 nights at Wonder Lakes while exploring the area. How is the xc to Wonder lakes for a dog?

What level of backpacking experience do you have?

Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?

- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Big Mountain scenery
- Photography

When is your trip?

July 5th

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead?

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers? 8 miles

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated, thanks!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip advice: Lamarck/Wonder Lakes or Piute pass/Humphrey Basin

Post by windknot »

I haven't been to the Wonder Lakes, but you can't go wrong with Humphreys Basin for the priorities that you list. It's huge, so even though it's popular it won't be hard to find solitude. And it's easy, mostly grassy cross-country travel past Piute Pass, so it should be easier on your dog than potential talus traverses to/around Wonder Lakes.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

I noticed that there are actually available permits for Piute Pass on July 5, so I would grab one now. The cross country to Wonder Lakes is probably not suitable for your dog while, as Windknot pointed out, Humphrey's Basin is easy cross country travel or you can follow a trail to Muriel Lake or Lower Desolation Lake. Have a great trip!
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
sandiegonate
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by sandiegonate »

Thank you both! As of this morning there was 4 permits available for Lamarck and 6 for Piute, a few hours later there was none for Lamarck so I grabbed one for Piute. Looks like that was the right way to go for me anyhow.