Kaweah Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Kaweah Basin

Post by richlong8 »

A few years back I joined some other Topix members at a couple of enjoyable Meetups, one at Grinnell Lake, the other in Kaweah Basin. I am getting ready in a few weeks to do a Cloud Canyon-Deadman Canyon loop from the west side, trying to do some more destinations out of Arnot's book, High Sierra. Does anyone from the Kaweah Meetup, or otherwise, know the location of a supposed "ledge type" ramp that runs to the SE as you descend down the west side of Colby Pass that gets you into Pickett Lake Basin. When I did the Meetup, I just forded the Kern-Kaweah and went straight up the slope at a likely spot and dropped into Picket that way. I remember others talking about that route. Thought it might be fun too drop over to Kaweah for a day using that route on the way down to the Kern. thanks if you can be of help, Richard, (richlong8)
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted

Re: Kaweah Basin

Post by dapperdave »

Rich,

Start at Gallats "Lake" meadow and head South.

Dave
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here you go, Rich.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was looking for...I hesitated to ask for trip advice. I know there is a format, but this was some specific info I thought was worth asking for....I want to stay out for 12 days on this trip. the big challenge is carrying that much food/fuel without a resupply, but it will only get lighter and easier as I eat every day! thanks again.

I am going to post a trip report, and I recently setup on Google Drive. Will photos stored on Google show up in my trip report, and is there a link with instructions on this site on how to put pics in TR's? Do they need to be JPEGS?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=103&start=10

If you have any further photo posting questions, please feel free to post it in the “Photography”.
12 days should give plenty of time to explore in KB, and adjacent basins. :nod:
Have a safe and wonderful trip, Rich.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

richlong8 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:21 pm ..I want to stay out for 12 days on this trip. the big challenge is carrying that much food/fuel without a resupply...
You did not specify, but if your route back retraces any portion of the route out, bring along some cord and a stuff sack, then you can hang some of the food on the way out needed for the return trip, so you aren't forced to haul it any further than necessary.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Gogd wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:44 pm
richlong8 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:21 pm ..I want to stay out for 12 days on this trip. the big challenge is carrying that much food/fuel without a resupply...
You did not specify, but if your route back retraces any portion of the route out, bring along some cord and a stuff sack, then you can hang some of the food on the way out needed for the return trip, so you aren't forced to haul it any further than necessary.

Ed
The only part of the route that is identical is a 12 mile section at the beginning from Scaffold Meadows to the trailhead. I am going to leave a little food in the bear box, but it won't make that much difference.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

maverick wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:10 pm viewtopic.php?f=17&t=103&start=10

If you have any further photo posting questions, please feel free to post it in the “Photography”.
12 days should give plenty of time to explore in KB, and adjacent basins. :nod:
Have a safe and wonderful trip, Rich.
I hope this photo shows up now that I have created a shared album on Google Photos. Does anyone see it?
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

No, your photo is not showing up.

Mike
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

I can see the photo if I'm not logged in. Once I log in, I only see the word "Image" and clicking on it shows Bad Request.