trails near Mammoth Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Obsidianpumice
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

trails near Mammoth Lakes

Post by Obsidianpumice »

I've done countless hikes along Highway 395 but for various reasons in the past I have not done much near Mammoth Lakes. There are several day-hikes I am really interested in and curious if anyone knows how the conditions are, i.e. how packed trailheads are this time of year, snow levels, etc. Thousand Island Lake Trail (apparently called Thousand People Trail due to crowds?), Valentine Lake, and Convict Canyon come to mind.

I have done McGhee Creek before which was beautiful, as were various things in Hoover.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: trails near Mammoth Lakes

Post by c9h13no3 »

Places around Mammoth can be busy, but not any more than other parts of the Sierra. And if it’s more than a few miles from the car and off the JMT, it won’t be that bad.

Parking in the Lakes Basin and in the Postpile monument can be tight. The shuttle bus into the Postpile is sort of annoying for a day hike, but for a backpacking trip it allows some car shuttle type trips that avoid out & backs.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Obsidianpumice
Topix Novice

Post by Obsidianpumice »

Yeah I've avoided Devils Postpile because I'm not a big fan of shuttles. It's so... limiting and theme-parky.

A few years ago during a dry early November I tried to hike near Mammoth Lakes, I wish I could recall which trail (maybe Thousand Island), but the road was closed despite no snow which I found silly. Hope to have better luck this summer.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

The latest the Reds Meadow Road has stayed open since 2000 is October 31st. Here is a listing of the dates: https://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Not sure if still the case, but cars were allowed when shuttles were not running. You may need an overnight permit to do this; drive down before 7AM- hike to Ediza Lake and back, leave after 7PM (or whatever time the shuttles stop now). Or River trail to Garnet Lake; return JMT to Shadow Lake and River Trail again from Olaine Lake to TH .

Cold Water TH to Duck Lake Pass; Pike Lake is great if you have time.

Lake George to Mammoth Crest (good view, but little water sources)

Walk around Convict Lake is nice, but short and crowded. Day hike to Mildred Lake would be very strenuous but relatively short; would need a very early start.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:06 am Not sure if still the case, but cars were allowed when shuttles were not running. You may need an overnight permit to do this
This is still the case, and you don't need an overnight permit.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
brianA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by brianA »

I'm doing a day hike Thousand Island loop this July, although it's my favorite place to backpack. The sunrises are beyond belief. Anyway, it's out to T.I. around to Emerald, Ruby, and Garnet Lakes. Don't miss the left hand turn into Garnet. Then over to Shadow Lake, and out.
Another good one is to Ediza Lake. Another great one is the Minaret Lake hike with a side trip to Minaret Falls. I love the Rainbow Falls hike that takes you right past the Postpile. Actually, Rainbow Falls is a postpile. Go down to the lower falls as well. The only other one I've done in the Mammoth area is out to Crystal Crag. It's fun, but crowded. I've never seen T.I. crowded. Two hikes that are on my list are San Joaquin Mountain, and Duck Lake. Good luck!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

I agree with WD, you could hike to Ediza and farther xc to Iceberg if you are strong enough.
I think that you will have less crowds if you day hike to Dana Plateau or 20 lake Basing out of Saddle Bag Lake TH. Both of those hikes are near Lee Vining and BEAUTIFUL!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

Another thought…I second the idea of Coldwater TH to Duck Lake and then head to Purple Lake.
If you like forests, you can hike out of Horseshoe Lake towards Red Cones and then to Deer creek and purple or Fish Creek depending upon how many miles you do in a day.
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:06 am Not sure if still the case, but cars were allowed when shuttles were not running. You may need an overnight permit to do this; drive down before 7AM- hike to Ediza Lake and back, leave after 7PM (or whatever time the shuttles stop now).
Driving in needed to be early (or late) but you were able to drive out anytime. However if the entrance station was staffed then you needed to pay the admission fee ($20 IIRC) or show an annual pass upon exit.