Current conditions at Muir Pass

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
mildandgreen
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Current conditions at Muir Pass

Post by mildandgreen »

Any recent updates on Muir Pass and Evolution Basin?

Thanks!
commonloon
Topix Regular

Re: Current conditions at Muir Pass

Post by commonloon »

I was thru last week. Snow towards the top of Muir Pass, Helen to Wanda, then Evolution lakes were pretty much snow free. There is a boot track the entire way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ahvuong
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by ahvuong »

How was the mosquito situation? Were you going South Lake to North?
ohlol
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by ohlol »

Someone posted on the JMT Facebook group today that Evolution Creek was like calf-deep.

If the mosquitoes are anything like they are in Yosemite you'll want a headnet and full coverage / clothing treatment. I got several bites just at my tailbone from bending over while pitching my tent. Crack kills 🤦🏻‍♂️
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

@ahvuong the mosquitoes weren't bad going over Muir or in Le Conte canyon for example (maybe a 2), but towards the end of my trip seemed to ramp up. I was encountering them in the typical places: marshy areas, meadows, "Green" zones. I'm prepping for another trip now, and bringing a headnet and bug repellent. I treat my clothing w/ Ben's as well.