Slide Canyon Query

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dweitz
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Slide Canyon Query

Post by dweitz »

I've read a number of trip reports that involve descending Slide Canyon, and they either head over to Rock Island Lake or up Big Meadow Creek or Camp Creek. Has anyone attempted to follow Piute Creek all the way down to where it intersects with the PCT? There appear to be a few steep sections, but I'm curious if it is "safely" do-able.
stephen_sd
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Slide Canyon Query

Post by stephen_sd »

I have taken a northbound route from the PCT to Slide Canyon but I left the PCT and headed north at Wilson Creek where the PCT travels west over Benson pass. This route joined Piute Creek at the junction with Camp Creek. This doesn't answer your question about the steeper sections but I wanted to put this out as an alternate route.
-Stephen
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Slide Canyon Query

Post by erutan »

@dweitz Someone just sent me this thread heh.

With lowish water it's fine. A little bushy and with some boulders that need to be traversed (they can be wet, which impacts traction). I've gone up via Smedberg > Sister > Tallulah > Doe and it's nicer, have exited north to trail and from big meadow to matterhorn. Hopping over to shamrock from the PCT (iirc) also seems like it'd work. I've eyeballed the drop from Crazy Mule Gulch from both sides and it seems fine, but haven't done it.