TR: 6/7-15 2022: Bishop Cr-Dusy Basin-Palisade Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
15lbpack
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: TR: 6/7-15 2022: Bishop Cr-Dusy Basin-Palisade Lake

Post by 15lbpack »

I only caught 5-6 inch brooks at north-west shore of Ruwau Lake last Sept. Need to try your location next time.
I've read one PCT hiker's blog mentioning about a mom and dad hiking PCT with three little kids, probably is the same family you have encountered. The story is that the dad had done JMT two year back and really loved it, hence took the whole family to do PCT this time.
dil950
Topix Acquainted

Post by dil950 »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfA9ij-L9qV ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Was this the family you saw on the trail? When I saw their feed pop up I said wow hardcore. But I also wondered if this was an Instagram vs reality type deal haha.
dil950
Topix Acquainted

Post by dil950 »

dil950 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:46 am https://www.instagram.com/p/CfA9ij-L9qV ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Was this the family you saw on the trail? When I saw their feed pop up I said wow hardcore. But I also wondered if this was an Instagram vs reality type deal haha.
Sorry didn’t see the page two and already answered. My bad
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

I love the shot of Isosceles Peak in clouds.. Looks ominous.
I was not too far from you when this storm took place.. no rain, but very windy.
Dusy Basin shots are fantastic.. sometimes I forget about places close to trailhead or on the PCT. Worth a visit.

I am surprised how much water is in Palisade Creek. I thought it would be less this year, even at this time.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

https://www.pyranha.com/blog/middle-kings/

I just found this and I think it is the kayak group that I met on the route. Not much of a detailed report and some of the photos did not show up, Maybe because I do not do Face Book?? Interesting that they hired donkeys to haul Kayaks until the Bishop Pass trail was covered with snow.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey WD, We're glad this resurfaced. I love to gaze up at Mt Goode; tell me, is there a classic climbing route up that arete that soars right up to the summit... seen in your first photo, and again about the sixth from the last?

I recall hearing that Mt Goode has one of the largest faces in the area. Cheers, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Harlen wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:04 pm Hey WD, We're glad this resurfaced. I love to gaze up at Mt Goode; tell me, is there a classic climbing route up that arete that soars right up to the summit... seen in your first photo, and again about the sixth from the last?

I recall hearing that Mt Goode has one of the largest faces in the area. Cheers, Ian.
Harlen, I attempted that very route in the 1970s, I think in late July. We first attempted climbing up the gulley, just south of the buttress. I later saw a guide book describing the gulley ascent as a "bowling alley". But shooting gallery also fits, when describing the rock fall hazard. We chickened out after two hours of intermittent, unwelcome thrills, and traversed to the buttress bordering the west side of the col, then continued on. Much safer! Goode is a big face, but climbs fast; you'll be done in time for dinner, given there is plenty of structure on the way up, and the descent down the south east face is a benign, Class 4 scree and boulder slope from the summit, all the way to Bishop Lake. If you were to climb it, you should have the face to yourself; climbers willing to hike to their routes in that region usually end up in the Palisades. Mt Goode is one of the long routes in the area, but there are quite a few others of similar stature, nearby, all accessible out of the Bishop Creek watershed.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular

Post by dbargaehr1 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:09 pm I take all blogs and "posts" of PCT hikes with a grain of salt- PCT hiking seen through rose-colored glasses. Most people do not take videos of the bad times. Small kids love the outdoors, until the moment they don't. PCT hiking requires making miles- not free to quit just because the kids no longer like it. I obviously ran into them at a bad moment- but I doubt this was the only one. My kids were quite independent at a young age- when they decided no more walking, that was it! I also ran into a family with 4 kids (doing North Lake to South Lake) looked like pre-teen to about a 7 year old. The three older kids were fine- the younger one was NOT having fun and made that very clear! She must have refused to carry her pack- poor Dad had her pack on his front, his own huge pack on his back. He rolled is eyes when we passed.
thru-hiking culture makes me a bit queasy, tbh - I do my best to avoid the PCT/JMT superhighway whenever possible. Too well-trammeled, too many people ignoring LNT. Toilet paper blooms, micro-trash, a 4-lane highway of a trail, etc. But I tend to go for solitude over anything else, even fishing opportunities. My last trip involved a night at Lk Virginia for the big goldens that reside in the lake, but we pitched well up a ridge to avoid having to deal with the PCTers camped out in the meadow 20 feet from the water's edge :rolleyes:

I saw someone post on a FB group that they'd already "done" the Sierra and they didn't need to go back, because they'd section-hiked the PCT once. I nearly spit out my coffee when I read it; I can't imagine being "done" with the Sierra if I had 10 lifetimes to explore it. To each their own, I suppose.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

dbargdehr1writes:
I saw someone post on a FB group that they'd already "done" the Sierra and they didn't need to go back, because they'd section-hiked the PCT once. I nearly spit out my coffee when I read it; I can't imagine being "done" with the Sierra if I had 10 lifetimes to explore it. To each their own, I suppose.
JHC! I am glad that sort is so easily "done" with the Sierra. Is that the "bucket list" mentality at work? We like the way you think dbarg.

And Gogd, thanks for your notes on Mt Goode. Congrats on your ascent. Ian.

p.s. Now dust of those slides, scan 'em and post 'em! Wandering Daisy, we know you have boxes of dusty slides too.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:09 pm I take all blogs and "posts" of PCT hikes with a grain of salt- PCT hiking seen through rose-colored glasses. Most people do not take videos of the bad times. Small kids love the outdoors, until the moment they don't. PCT hiking requires making miles- not free to quit just because the kids no longer like it. I obviously ran into them at a bad moment- but I doubt this was the only one. My kids were quite independent at a young age- when they decided no more walking, that was it! I also ran into a family with 4 kids (doing North Lake to South Lake) looked like pre-teen to about a 7 year old. The three older kids were fine- the younger one was NOT having fun and made that very clear! She must have refused to carry her pack- poor Dad had her pack on his front, his own huge pack on his back. He rolled is eyes when we passed.
Unfortunately many a well intentioned adults kill any chance of children ever liking camping, by starting them with trips over their heads, be it too many days, too many miles, too few playmates, "boring" activities, food, warmth and numerous other things we tend to overlook, blinded by our own love for the mountains. We start kids with short hikes, that have the option to extend further, but only if they are game. We also make the trip about the children, making sure they are entertained, introducing them to the little things: the ladybugs, squirrels, dear, birds, bats, what's in the creek, and make sure meals are special, too. If they don't want to fish, summit the nearby peak or do take day hikes, then we don't. Our objective is let them experience nature on their terms, and make them want to come back for more!

Ed
I like soloing with friends.