Woodchuck Country/ Blackcap Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Woodchuck Country/ Blackcap Basin

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi friends,
My daughter and I are planning a trip leaving 7/12 for 5, possibly 6 days depending upon work and family obligations. I am considering Woodchuck Country/ Blackcap Basin. We are not strong, fast hikers but want to see as much as we can.
Here are my questions:
1) Will we be eaten alive by mosquitos or since it was a low rain precipitation season and quick, early thaw, will we just have normal, summer skeeters? Are the skeeters always voracious all season there?
2) What is a more scenic destination, the southern end of the basin around Midway and Pearl Lakes or more north to Guest Lake?
3) Which is the best option, going in via a slight detour to Woodchuck Lake, Indian Springs or the most direct trail in between those 2? (Looks like we could camp the first night by the creek, just before the junction to Woodchuck Lake.) Best being fewest mosquitos, best views, most flowers or lovely forest, easiest hiking, etc.
4) Is the crossing of Kings River at Big Maxon Meadow going to be passable that time of year?
I see we would cross Kings twice to get to the more southern end of the basin, perhaps a reason to stay north? Also for Mosquitos?
5) After reading all of the Tr I could find, I see that there are 3 TH. I do not think that I want Rancheria since it just adds a lot more mileage before we get to the alpine areas. (Please correct me if I am wrong on this) I was thinking of starting at Woodchuck TH, just south of Wishon. However, I read about the Hoffman TH and it sounds great, knocking a bunch of miles and elevation gain off of the trip to Woodchuck Lake. Is that forest road 11s31 on the map? Is it still passable? I have a 4wd.
THANKS!
Last edited by Love the Sierra on Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Re: Woodchuck Country/ Blackcap Basin

Post by kpeter »

I can't answer all your questions since I have not been to Blackcap Basin. Here is my TR from 2019 about a trip to Red Mountain Basin, that starts off the same as your trip.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19878&p=149716&hilit=hell#p149716

As for mosquitoes, in 2019 they were horrific in July and then became reasonable by the beginning of August. I remember worrying about my trip since trail reports were bleak up until the time we left, and then it was not so bad. 2019 was a wet year and snowpack lasted a month longer than this year, so you might be OK. Hopefully someone who has been out there will chime in. I am making the same calculation for a different July trip with my daughter, hoping the skeets will be gone early given the dryness.

As for the crossing--I have not seen that ford. However, if you look at the pictures toward the end of my TR you can see a cascades on the river a mile or two south of the ford that shows that it was relatively shallow in spots in August of a wet year. The picture is near where Meadow Creek comes in, which is as far along your trail I got. That would bode well for you.

Others will have to fill you in on your other questions. Red Mountain Basin, which is a bit easier than what you propose, is also a magnificent destination using much of the same route, should you be interested, and with no major fords.
Last edited by kpeter on Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

@kpeter I just looked at your TR. So pretty out there! I see you came in from Courtright like we did. I was there twice, once going on a short trip to the Kings River, which was so stunning, and once on that failed trip to the same area that you went. Your Lovely shots brought back good memories!
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

LTS...I have been to both Blackcap and Red Mt. Basin a few times and there is no question in my mind which is the better destination...Red Mountain Basin. Also, I have found the hike in to the "good stuff" (lakes and peaks) at Blackcap is a looooooooong way that seems to take forever, whether via Long Meadow or Halfmoon Lake/Chuck Pass . Along the Kings River is really pretty though and makes it more 'acceptable' once get to it.
Mosquitoes were pretty annoying even in early September of 2017 (Blackcap) but they seemed to last a long time that year at higher elevations. Can't speak for how they will be this year yet.
My guess is that crossing creeks will be OK by your dates.
I did not know of Hoffman TH then so just used Woodchuck at Wishon.

Best ~ M.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Somewhere back there in 2007 there is a trip report (possibly with the "Blackchuck" in the title). That one did the "conventional" Rancheria take off to Woodchuck on d1 and I'd do that differently today. I'd go out of "High Rancheria" instead of Hoffman Mtn. Hoffman Mtn. was my go-to from 2008 when I first tried it (on "Tunechuck") to my Woodchuck trip in 2015. In 2021 I found a big log blocking the road and hiked the 'normal' Woodchuck trail (not recommended--long and boring), but a few weeks later went out of "High Rancheria" (see various posts on this last year) which I think gets you in as fast as Hoffman Mtn but without adding a ton of off trail with tricky route finding. Whether going out of Hoffman Mtn or High Rancheria, my preferred route to Woodchuck is still mostly off trail from Round Corral Meadow to Woodchuck and I similarly cut a lot of inefficient trail routing off if going directly to Crown or Scepter. A lot of time can also be saved connecting Woodchuck Country and Blackcap by heading off trail, with the most efficient pass being the unnamed one about 1 mi ESE of Scepter Pass. This is how we did it in 2007.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Would a woodchuck chuck wood if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Of the 3 LeConte Divide basins, IMO Red Mountain has the more aesthetic set of views, more lakes, better lake reflection subjects, shorter hiking distance, and better fishing. Camp at lakes way away from the Red Mountain Pass trail.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

@giantbrookie thank you, but I need clarification, please. Is “high rancheria” the forest road11s31 I saw on the map? If so, where is Hoffman?
I assume that you mean Round Corral Meadow to Woodchuck Lake? I may be blind but do not even see Round Corral Meadow on the map. Finally, I see The pass ESE of Scepter, but I read a trip report from 2018, I think it was, where the fellow REALLY had a nightmare with dense vegetation and bushwhacking! One of the reasons I want to visit this area is because I would love to see that lush forest on my way to the alpine granite!
Thanks!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

@SSSdave thanks, a few people have had the same opinion about Red Mountain vs Black Cap. However, I have never hiked out of Woodchuck and have Hiked out of Maxon a few times already.
Thanks
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Love the Sierra wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:25 pm @giantbrookie thank you, but I need clarification, please. Is “high rancheria” the forest road11s31 I saw on the map? If so, where is Hoffman?
I assume that you mean Round Corral Meadow to Woodchuck Lake? I may be blind but do not even see Round Corral Meadow on the map. Finally, I see The pass ESE of Scepter, but I read a trip report from 2018, I think it was, where the fellow REALLY had a nightmare with dense vegetation and bushwhacking! One of the reasons I want to visit this area is because I would love to see that lush forest on my way to the alpine granite!
Thanks!
The High Rancheria spur is not shown on the USFS map but it is shown on the USGS 7.5' topo map (use "scanned topos") as the base layer on Caltopo. It splits off of 11S31 about 1.5 mi N of the actual Rancheria trailhead (on 7.5 topo there is an elevation 7931 and the word "gate") then heads SSE until it nearly hits the Rancheria trail. It ends at a parking area about 40' above the Rancheria trail from where you take a use trail and join the regular Rancheria trail having saved a mile of hiking and 300' of gain or so. This parking area/road end is at an elevation of 8000'. The kickoff point that is called "Hoffman Mtn" is at the big hairpin in 11S31 at its northernmost apex. There is a gate just beyond this hairpin and a parking area at the saddle. The Hoffman Mtn kickoff point is at an elevation of a smidge below 8360'. Round Corral Mdw is shown on the 7.5' topo as being NE of Finger Rock (ie ENE of the summit of Hoffman Mtn). When one gets to Round Corral Meadow the next move, if headed to Woodchuck is to veer ENE off trail past the little pond and the little lump 9143 (on 7.5' topo) aiming to pass south of and a bit above Indian Springs. The key here is to always stay below and north of the steeper slopes. You end up hitting the trail at an elevation of about 9000'. If haeded to Woodchuck L. you simply cross over the trail and head NNE, and get back on trail somewhere around the final northward spur to Woodchuck L. If headed to Crown/Scepter you stay on the trail to Chuck Pass, then "cut the corner" off trail contouring around and aiming for (a) the Crown-Scepter trail junction (if headed for Scepter) or continuing to curve northward directly to Crown. The pass ESE of Scepter is pretty straightforward. If you hit it right brush is a non-factor.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

I backpacked into Blackcap Basin Aug 13-19, 2018. I think that was an "average" snow year. I had no problems with mosquitoes. I used the main Rancheria Creek trailhead, although Giantbrookie's "High Rancheria" trailhead sounds better. It took me two full days to get to Pearl Lake, and two full days to get back; I saw no other hikers on those two days in and out, but a few others in Blackcap Basin who apparently came in from Courtright Reservoir. Trails were sketchy with a lot of deadfall and faint sections. I was mighty impressed by the scenery at Pearl Lake and the other lakes around it, all of which were easy to get to on cross-country hikes. Cathedral Lake has a beautiful sandy beach on the north side. You say that you like forests - you will see plenty on this hike! There were some very nice sections of tall red fir that impressed me. You do not cross any major streams going from Rancheria TH (or environs) to Blackcap Basin.

I left Rancheria TH at 4 pm and made it to a nice campsite at Duck Lake the first day. Then I headed north cross-country contouring around the ridge, past the two small ponds in rocky cirques, and down to the Woodchuck Creek trail in the Indian Springs area. I turned east on the trail to Chuck Pass, then left the trail heading north directly up the ridge in easy open forest. It breaks out onto a granite slab and sand ridge with excellent views that I followed north until I intersected the trail from Woodchuck Lake to Crown Pass, which I took to Crown Pass and then down to camp at Half Moon Lake. Next day I hiked the trail (very faint and easy to lose) east from Half Moon Lake to the North Fork Kings River, and then on better trail up to Portal Lake. I headed cross-country from Portal Lake up to camp at Pearl Lake; on the way back I found a use trail that connects the north side of Portal Lake to Pearl Lake. The next day I explored cross-country from Pearl Lake to the lake basin to the south with Chapel, Cathedral, and Midway Lakes. The day following, I went cross-country north to Division, Bighorn, and Ambition Lakes, then packed up and headed down to a campsite on the North Forks Kings River. I retraced my route past Half Moon Lake and Crown Pass to the cross-country ridge, where I camped by a small tarn shown on the topo at about 10,100 feet. The last day I retraced my route back to the trailhead and drove home.

-Phil

Here are a few photos:
P1150914.jpg
P1150944.jpg
P1160132.jpg
P1160076.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.