TR: Vidette Lakes & Center Basin, 5/29 - 5/31

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rormisto
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Vidette Lakes & Center Basin, 5/29 - 5/31

Post by rormisto »

Apologies for the slight delay with the trip report, its purpose as a conditions update may have expired. I know this is relatively well-trodden ground, so I'll try to keep things brief, get some pretty pictures up!
  • Plan: enter over Kearsarge, head up Vidette Lakes, and scope out Deerhorn Saddle. If it seemed doable, I'd return by way of East Lake and Kearsarge again. If it didn't, I would backtrack and check out Center Basin, then exit Kearsarge.
  • Guest list: just me! As per usual. I like rocks, I am working on liking snow. Comfy up to Class III. I usually sleep in Alabama Hills before Kearsarge trips, but did not acclimate this time.
  • Other Details: I was easily able to snag a permit for a Sunday to take advantage of shifting work stuff. However, I had a flight at the end of the day 5/31 out of LAX, so I couldn't get stuck, and I had to move fast.

Sleep-deprived by life/work events, I didn't arrive at Onion Valley until around noon. This did not help the plan to move fast. The pass and the descent to Bubbs Creek went smoothly, though it was very windy, overcast, and rather cold. Gloves and a rain jacket were essential. Pants were not! Big Pothole Lake was icy, but melting fast.
Big_Pothole.JPG

The switchbacks down to Bubbs Creek provided excellent beta on the ascent to come. The relevant bit of Deerhorn looked snow-free, and the 3 primary chutes from the middle lakes to the upper were visible as well. This firmed up my intent to tackle the west-most chute (right-most, here).
Vidette_Beta.JPG

The creek was flowing a little more swiftly & deeply than I wanted to ford alone, so I found this lovely log. Very easy to balance across, much easier than the log on the JMT a quarter mile away, crossing a tributary.
Log_Bubbs.JPG

East Vidette is an absolutely beautiful mountain. To get the views, though, I had veered rather east-ward of the various use trails up to the lakes. It was perfectly passable, in some ways more open terrain, but it was slightly steeper. I switched my way up without difficulty and without trails.
East_Vidette.JPG

Without knowing the status of any East Creek crossings on the far side of Deerhorn, and having that flight out of LAX, I elected to make it to the upper Vidette Lake, but no further. I made my dinner and got some rest. Vidette Lakes was peaceful, beautiful, cold camping.
IMG_4713-min.jpeg
IMG_4720-min.jpeg

The decision against Deerhorn was further enforced by a very late start the next day, as it was below freezing over night and quite cold until my tent got decent sun, which didn't occur until around 9 am. My water bottle, sans filter, had chunks of ice until closer to 11.

The west-most chute was trivial and I was able to stick to the rocks to the right of the snow chute the whole way up before I was faced with crossing the last bit of snow.
Vidette_Ascent.jpeg

This was very silly, but this was my first strictly necessary snow travel, outside of some practice sessions. Baby's first kicked steps! Went off without a hitch.
Kicked_Steps.jpeg

The last climb to the tarns at the foot of Deerhorn didn't look that bad, but I wanted to scope out Center Basin more, so I turned around.
Upper_Vidette.jpeg

The descent via use trail from Vidette Lakes was nice but not necessarily easier than contouring independently. I floated around the trails, as there are a few. I kept to the HST-time-honored-tradition of blowing by the Center Basin junction. I ran across the trail shortly thereafter and it was hard to lose from there. I do have pictures of the junction and details for anyone interested, but maybe better to keep the fun going. :D

I only made it as far as Golden Bear Lake before having to head back for time, but not before cementing Center Basin as a spot to revisit. Bighorn Plateau and Nine Lakes Basin have always been two of my favorite locations in the Sierra, and Center Basin shares that expansive, serene nature.
Center_Peak.jpeg
Leaving_Center.jpeg

A wonderful departure to the trip, I saw the day's events all summed up in one view! Not a standard occurrence, since I tend to focus on covering a lot of ground or traversing high, view-blocking passes. This was a special treat.
Summation.jpeg

I camped at the last legal spot just before Bullfrog, exited in the morning, and made my flight! All in all, an unfortunately abbreviated trip, but maybe better to take it easy on the first trip of the season.

I keep detailed track of timing and travel, because I'm neurotic I like tracking changes throughout the season, so, stats, for the curious:
Day 1, 6 hr, 10.5 mi, +3.7k', -2.4k'
Day 2, 7 hr, 12.5 mi, +3.1k', -3.1k'
Day 3, 4 hr, 7.3 mi, +1.4k', -2.7k'

Last, maybe most importantly, thanks to @bobby49 and @Wandering Daisy for their help talking through the route options!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Vidette Lakes & Center Basin, 5/29 - 5/31

Post by frozenintime »

great report! center basin is grand.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Thanks for the report and the photos.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

I wholeheartedly agree with your 3 choices of expansive, wild Sierra high country. Bighorn Plateau, 9 lakes Basin, and now Center Basin. You make me what to drive off right now!

Thanks for the very nice trip report. Glad you made it.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

rormisto,
I'm always impressed by folk who can fly to LA or SF or ? and then drive to the Sierra and manage to do anything on trail. So, kudos. And I may have had the wrong impression of Center Basin having only come in via Junction Pass, so I'll have to try your route someday (I have no desire ever to do Junction again). And while, like Harlen, I'm with you on 9 Lakes basin and especially Bighorn Plateau, I'd strongly encourage you to check out Amphitheater basin (and the perspective you get entering via Upper Basin Crossing). Heck, some folk would add upper basin to your list, but I find Amp basin particularly beguiling with massive lakes, amazing peaks encasing it (from Black Giant to the Palisades Crest) and diverse terrain. CA dreaming'!
Cameron
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Enjoyed the report which brought back memories.