TR: Sawmill, Colosseum, and some lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
shtinkypuppie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Sawmill, Colosseum, and some lakes

Post by shtinkypuppie »

@commonloon I was postholing in the afternoon as I attempted to go up Pinchot, in the brief northeast facing area around 11,500'. According to the latest Sentinel data, there's still some snow here, so you might try to hit Pinchot early, but there isn't much snow mileage total. The snow on the north side of Colosseum was much firmer, for obvious reasons, and I didn't actually encounter much snow besides those areas.
snow.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is a wholesome and necessary thing for us to turn again to the Earth, and in contemplation of her beauties to know wonder and humility"

- Rachel Carson
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by commonloon »

@shtinkypuppie Thanks much for the beta. I'm continuing North so that's good to know.
walipriest
Topix Novice

Post by walipriest »

Just went up Sawmill -Woods Lake myself last weekend, after reading your RR. Beautiful, windy, and cold! Much solitude, only saw 2 people, at the Hogsback while I was exiting on Sunday. A wonderful, grinding hike, the sole downside being the overgrown spots along the trail -many thorny bushes (buckthorn?) worked hard to shred my legs!
shtinkypuppie
Topix Acquainted

Post by shtinkypuppie »

walipriest wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:29 am Just went up Sawmill -Woods Lake myself last weekend, after reading your RR. Beautiful, windy, and cold! Much solitude, only saw 2 people, at the Hogsback while I was exiting on Sunday. A wonderful, grinding hike, the sole downside being the overgrown spots along the trail -many thorny bushes (buckthorn?) worked hard to shred my legs!
That's Mountain Whitethorn - the bane of my existence as a habitual shorts-wearer.
"It is a wholesome and necessary thing for us to turn again to the Earth, and in contemplation of her beauties to know wonder and humility"

- Rachel Carson
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

I enjoyed the report and photos for your ambitious trip. Thanks for posting.