North Emigrant Advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: North Emigrant Advice

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi,
I did a similar trip in 2018 and I think it had been a pretty normal snow year. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18533&p=137608#p137608
I was told by hikers that Salt Lick was the worst Skeeter nightmare of their life so I did a lollipop to buck and then both in and out via Relief. I LOVED every step, it was carpeted with flowers! Summit Creek was easy peasy and there is a super comfy camp site right before the crossing. We always need to make the first day a short one due to the long drive. It is so pretty in there!
Bring gaiters! We encountered places where the trail was a creek. Also, have pockets big enough for your bottle of repellent. I kept the repellent handy and applied it without having to take my pack off. Take a head net at least. I have a whole body net and was grateful to have it!
Have a wonderful time! Every step is pure joy once you leave the road out of Kennedy Meadows.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

One more thought... If you are planning to camp in Relief, the camp sites I found were WAY FAR from the water source. We only stopped there for lunch. As a matter of fact, most of the creeks in the meadows were running pretty low and the water disgusting. I would not even filter from them.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Thanks so much Love the Sierra for that advice and the link! Very helpful.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The "far end" of Relief Reservoir is a bushwhack to get to. There is a good use-trail down to Relief Reservoir where there are tons of established campsites. It can be crowded on weekends. I actually liked camping on the reservoir shores. Fair fishing too. For just one night, the crowds did not bother me much. Keep an eye out for the use-trail as you near Grouse Creek. It is either shorty before or shortly after you cross Grouse Creek. I suppose you could also camp up near the Grouse Creek crossing.

I am not sure Relief Reservoir is worth 2 nights (both inbound and outboud). There are some fair campsites between Sheep Camp and the confluence of Lewis Creek. Day-hike up to Lewis Lakes is very nice, but rigorous off-trail and you have to cross the creek.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Oh, I just read WD’S report and have to correct mine. I only meant Relief Valley, NOT Relief Reservoir. I agree with WD Relief Reservoir is a bushwhack and I never did it.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:15 am The "far end" of Relief Reservoir is a bushwhack to get to. There is a good use-trail down to Relief Reservoir where there are tons of established campsites. It can be crowded on weekends. I actually liked camping on the reservoir shores. Fair fishing too. For just one night, the crowds did not bother me much. Keep an eye out for the use-trail as you near Grouse Creek. It is either shorty before or shortly after you cross Grouse Creek. I suppose you could also camp up near the Grouse Creek crossing.

I am not sure Relief Reservoir is worth 2 nights (both inbound and outboud). There are some fair campsites between Sheep Camp and the confluence of Lewis Creek. Day-hike up to Lewis Lakes is very nice, but rigorous off-trail and you have to cross the creek.
Thanks WD. The overlay on CalTopo shows that use trail and what must be the camping area. Appreciate your pointing it out. I'll see how early I get there--whether to stop there or push on past Saucer Meadow and camp somewhere along Summit Creek.

I decided I would go clockwise so I can tackle Brown Bear Pass first. If I can't get over it, then I can retreat and try the trail that goes south from Lunch Meadow direct to Emigrant Lake. Better to hit the pass early than late in the circuit so I know what I am dealing with.

I am assuming stream crossings won't be a problem. I hope that assumption proves correct. Here is the revised plan.

1) First night: Relief Reservoir or Summit Creek
2) Second night: Emigrant Meadow Lake
3) Third night: Bigelow, Black Bear, or Twin Lakes
4) Fourth night: Letora Lake
5) Fifth night: Wire Lakes
6) Sixth night: Lower Relief Valley
7) Out

Question: This circuit will take me by Huckleberry, Cow Meadow, and Letora Lakes while missing Maxwell and Emigrant Lakes. I could instead do Maxwell and Emigrant Lakes and skip Huckleberry, Cow Meadow, and Letora. Any reason to have a preference?
Bradg
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bradg »

A couple of friends and I went in from Kennedy Meadows to Emigrant lake the second week of July 2019, a heavy snow year. We had planned to to cross Relief Creek to Upper Relief Valley, but the crossing looked too dangerous. We ended up going over Mosquito Pass to Emigrant. Mosquito Pass had quite a bit of snow, but was manageable. On the plus side, we had Emigrant all to ourselves. Lots of bugs, but large rainbows in the inlet.

There are some packer campsites at the northern end of Relief R.that are very nice. You have to go off trail a couple hundred yards towards the Reservoir. Hope this helps

Enjoy your trip!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13535

Although this trip was a late season trip, it is a similar to the route you are planning. The photos do not show up because I no longer pay Photobucket. I could add photos if you really would like to see them.

I have also gone down Brown Bear Pass later in a high snow year (2017) where conditions could be similar to your planned time. The trip was also a late August trip and the start was different, but I went out the route you plan to go in. Sorry, but the photos are a bit out of order.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16747#p126134

Cow Meadow Lake was mosquito hell when I went there years ago. I have heard others also say it is not a place to camp- just pass through. Latora is really nice. Maxwell is not much to see. Buck Lakes are some of my favorite. Brown Bear Pass is easy- not sure why you think you may not make it.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Thanks again, WD! Those trip reports are very helpful, give me a better idea of what to expect. Good to know Brown Bear Pass will be a non-issue. Lost Lake looks like a nice diversion.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

It's a great area. I even set part of my third mystery novel up there. It should be out in early July: Holes in the Ground.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963