dirt road

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Basslakehiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: dirt road

Post by Basslakehiker »

Was up there a few days ago, the east side bank when you get across which you dont see in my vid is pretty f'd up. Water is lower and should be no big deal even for a car, its the east bank that will get you stuck. Scout it out, maybe bring a shovel, pile rocks etc... Brother who drives a Toyota Highlander would not attempt it.
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by webdweeb »

Thanks much Basslakehiker! So after the creek crossing, the road is clear through the campground and back to Beasore Road, correct? BTW, I can't see your photo because I am an Instagram Luddite, but I think your info here is sufficient. The same map also shows a short connector road between 5S04 (which leads to the Chiquito trailhead) and the 5S11 Upper Chiquito campground loop, so I am wondering if that road exists and is passable as well. IF it is, then it wold be possible to stitch together a car shuttle between Chiquito and Norris trailheads.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

Basslakehiker wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:55 am No, the road leaves Beasore maybe 300 yards west of the bridge, it is labled 5S07A on 2016 FS map (Gaia). Map shows it ends at creek, but you drive through the creek and tie into the Upper Chiquito loop (5S11) just east of the Creek and head 50 yards up to the main road and continue on. There's a concrete barrier just before the 5S07A to keep people from driving over the nonexistent bridge. You cant miss it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdmt09mNWCr ... QWCLbfps0/
I took a stab at updating OSM with the detail here, would appreciate a look if you can https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/37.4964/-119.4071
ttucker9
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ttucker9 »

Update: A buddy and I spent a few days in the Vanderbergh Lake area. Chiquito Creek bridge is now open. FS rep told us it hadn't been inspected but people were using it. We went up the Mammoth Pool route and had to take a detour (don't remember the number but it was rough). FS gave us a directions sheet but my buddy ended up with it. No problem getting to the Norris or Fernandez trailheads that way. Exited the area on Beasore down to Bass Lake. Conditions up there were good with the exception of no fire rules (are these new?). Can't have a fire within 1/4 mile of Venderburgh and most other lakes in the area, including all Jackass Lakes. We took steaks for the first night so had to camp far away and walk a lot to get water. Great weather; I love hiking in September.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

I think fire restrictions are pretty much universal now since California has been ravaged by wildfires for the last several years.

John
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

John Harper wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:32 amI think fire restrictions are pretty much universal now
Nope
Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest Lifts all Fire Restrictions on Monday, Sept 26

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/htnf/new ... PRD1062445
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman