2022 Larmarck Col Conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
jhallard
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

2022 Larmarck Col Conditions

Post by jhallard »

Hello, I've gotten a permit to go up to Lamarck lakes and I wanted to continue over into Evolution basin for obvious reasons. My one worry is getting over Lamarck col - I've done some cross-country travel before and I know this is one of the tamer non-trailed passes in the Sierra, but it is only mid-June and I'm worried the snowpack might be too much for me to be comfortable going over. I do not have an ice axe and only have microspikes as gear which I've used minimally.

What is the snowpack situation in this part of the Sierra currently?
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2022 Larmarck Col Conditions

Post by commonloon »

You will likely have snow on North-East aspects. Lamarck is indeed a "tamer" x-country pass. See attached current satellite photo and topo with slope angle shading.

If you only have microspikes then you'll want to avoid any higher angle slopes or slopes with exposure. Even if the slope angle is lower, don't go up hard snow with microspikes and limited experience. Wait for the snow to soften a bit. It sounds like you are self aware of your own skillset/limitations and that is a good thing.

Have fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BradP
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: 2022 Larmarck Col Conditions

Post by BradP »

Crossed Lamarck Col on July 9. As seen in the photo, if the Col is crossed in the correct notch, only nuisance snow is encountered. That may even be entirely absent now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.