Chances of pulling off Inyo trip weekend of June 17th?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Sierrasnob
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Chances of pulling off Inyo trip weekend of June 17th?

Post by Sierrasnob »

Woah boy, have a few dependencies to make things work

Itinerary

Jun 17, 2022

Garnet Lake JMT- Thousand Island Lake

Jun 18, 2022

Cabin Lake (Shadow Creek)

Jun 19, 2022

Minaret Lake (Minaret Lake)

Out the 20th

I booked a permit way back in jan/feb of what I thought may be a decent chance to get into Inyo when the low snow year was in full swing. The march/april snow seems to have things still snowy in some spots

Reds meadow road is TBD on opening, the shuttle will likely not be running. last year the road opened on the 17th, so I'd be counting on it opening same date or sooner this year. what do you all think? Is parking at river trail/agnew meadows lot even possible on Fridays (assuming I get there early morning on that friday the 17th?)

Additionally, how do you think the snow levels will be? Still 15 days away, hitting the 80's next week in the sierra. Just how accurate is https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/webmaps/SierraSnowDepth/?

If this is possible, should I bring microspikes just in case?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Chances of pulling off Inyo trip weekend of June 17th?

Post by c9h13no3 »

Sierrasnob wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:31 amReds meadow road is TBD on opening, the shuttle will likely not be running. last year the road opened on the 17th, so I'd be counting on it opening same date or sooner this year. what do you all think? Is parking at river trail/agnew meadows lot even possible on Fridays (assuming I get there early morning on that friday the 17th?)

Additionally, how do you think the snow levels will be? Still 15 days away, hitting the 80's next week in the sierra. Just how accurate is https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/webmaps/SierraSnowDepth/?

Lots of questions.

It looks like you're planning to go from Cabin Lake to Minaret Lake. Volcanic pass might be a safer route than Iceberg to Cecile in early season if there is snow on the route (it is lower angle). Check the satellite images before you go to find out if Iceberg Lake is snow free. That north facing slope holds snow for a long time and the Ritter range is one of the snowier places in the Sierra.

Reds Meadow road is currently snow free, people I know have biked it for fun and reported no snow. They might be holding off opening due to construction or whatever. No way to predict the opening unless you hear from someone who knows more than the public. But this is a crowded area, hiking a little bit of road will probably give you a chance to experience solitude in a special place. I wouldn't let that stop you.

Parking shouldn't be an issue, there's a lot of spots. I've been able to squeeze in at 4AM on July 4th.

Anytime in June, if you have north facing & high elevation slopes on your route, traction and at least trekking poles aren't a bad idea.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Sierrasnob
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Sierrasnob »

c9h13no3 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:53 am
Sierrasnob wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:31 amReds meadow road is TBD on opening, the shuttle will likely not be running. last year the road opened on the 17th, so I'd be counting on it opening same date or sooner this year. what do you all think? Is parking at river trail/agnew meadows lot even possible on Fridays (assuming I get there early morning on that friday the 17th?)

Lots of questions.

It looks like you're planning to go from Cabin Lake to Minaret Lake. Volcanic pass might be a safer route than Iceberg to Cecile in early season if there is snow on the route (it is lower angle). Check the satellite images before you go to find out if Iceberg Lake is snow free. That north facing slope holds snow for a long time and the Ritter range is one of the snowier places in the Sierra.

Reds Meadow road is currently snow free, people I know have biked it for fun and reported no snow. They might be holding off opening due to construction or whatever. No way to predict the opening unless you hear from someone who knows more than the public. But this is a crowded area, hiking a little bit of road will probably give you a chance to experience solitude in a special place. I wouldn't let that stop you.

Parking shouldn't be an issue, there's a lot of spots. I've been able to squeeze in at 4AM on July 4th.

Anytime in June, if you have north facing & high elevation slopes on your route, traction and at least trekking poles aren't a bad idea.

^all good info. TBH I hadn't really routed this very well way back when I booked the permit. I need to read up on getting from cabin/ediza over to minaret. I need to read up on that. I have no preference which direction i go after cabin lake
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21619

This my trip report that I did, starting 6/9, when the road was closed last year. You are only talking about an hour down the road to start and maybe 2 hours up at the end. I suspect that it actually takes less time than using the bus when the road is open.

If you cannot safely get over to Minaret Lake from Ediza, just turn around and walk out. Just because Minaret Lake is on your permit, you do not HAVE TO do it.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:17 amIf you cannot safely get over to Minaret Lake from Ediza, just turn around and walk out. Just because Minaret Lake is on your permit, you do not HAVE TO do it.
Agreed, and there's plenty in the Ediza & Thousand Island drainages to keep you entertained for a weekend. Nydiver lakes are very scenic and the route up from Ediza is south facing (and thus snow free).
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Would not recommend Volcanic Pass, especially if it is a mix of snow, loose scree, and rocks, it can be quite precarious for the inexperienced. As mentioned the Thousand Is/Garnet Lake area have plenty to explore for 3 nights, but if you want/can add in Ediza it is well worth the effort.
Is there a particular reason you want to go to Cabin Lake? It is nice, but nowhere as pretty as its neighbor, Ediza Lake.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org