Bishop Pass 6/20-6/27

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tnewton
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bishop Pass 6/20-6/27

Post by tnewton »

Hi all, I have permits going into bishop pass trail in a few weeks, June 20-27. I’ve never backpacked this early in the season in the Sierra high county and am looking for any opinions or advice about my route options.

I’ve done similarly long trips in similar terrain. I’m comfortable off trail and route finding, have some snow and glacier experience but am hoping for nothing more than class 3 scrambling for this trip. Having read some of the June snow travel advice on the site I’d rather not carry traction or an ice axe (unless recommended of course) but I always use poles.

My first trip option would be to drop a car at Piute pass trailhead and get a shuttle to bishop pass trailhead and do the classic south lake - north lake loop, on trail. I have 8 days permitted. A shortened loop variation could be to bail over Lamarck col back to the car. Another off trail variation would be to go up Darwin bench and loop around glacier divide via Ramona lake and honeymoon lake to piute pass (from cgundersen post). I have done both the pass and glacier divide loop before (but in September) doing that loop ccw. My fourth fallback option is to just explore dusy, and palisades basins and the surrounding area canyons and go back out bishop pass.

I’ve been trying to get a handle on snow coverage and stream flows from whatever sources I can find, but still can’t get a good sense of how that affects the trail conditions in late June this year. It appears stream flows will have already peaked by then but I’m not familiar with all the particular stream crossings on these loops and can’t judge crossing difficulty re streamflow without better context. Conditions are rapidly changing at that time of year is my sense. I’m curious to know if any of you have any advice or opinions about the better route options?

Is the normal south lake to north lake loop recommend at that time of year and are there any particularly difficult passes or stream crossings? What is Lamarck col going to be like in late June? Would anyone recommend any of the other glacier divide passes particularly at that time of year? In the case of looping around glacier divide: will the up climb up the head wall to the saddle above lake 11,236 be all snow? Will the Piute creek crossing below honeymoon lake be a problem? If so, does anyone have a sense about the utility of contouring below lower honeymoon to avoid crossing Piute creek lower down and instead crossing the tributaries until it’s doable? Stay higher up on the bench to avoid mosquitoes and larger streams? Or stick to the trails to avoid snow and use the few bridges?

I’d love to hear anyone’s thoughts.
Thanks,
tnewton
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Bishop Pass 6/20-6/27

Post by tahoefoothills »

I would do the South Lake to North Lake route, especially if you have never done it. I think that the only thing you have to worry about is mosquitoes. I went over Bishop Pass last year on June 15 and there was scant snow; no micro-spikes needed. I just remember a very insignificant amount of snow at the very top. I went as far as Muir Pass and it was basically snow free. I guess it's possible, but I would not imagine this year would be much different.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I also am going over Bishop Pass, but a bit earlier- June 7-16. The current (regular) Google Earth image that covers Bishop Pass, Dusy, LeConte, Muir Pass is dated 5/31/2014. 2014 was a low snow year very similar to this year. You may want to look at Google Earth. It was very helpful for me since I will only be a week later. As far as I can tell, the Bishop Pass snow sensor is broken so no data on CDEC.

Some PCT hikers have gone out or in over Bishop Pass to resupply. The earlier reports indicated that there was a use-track in the snow, one fellow did not use spikes, but he said the snow tended towards post holes later in the day. (same fellow said crossing in Evolution Valley was no problem (thigh deep wade), so I suspect crossing Piute Creek at Honeymoon Lake trail would be feasible, but probably have to wade.

Google Earth 5/31/14 shows no snow once to the lower lakes in Dusy Basin. LeConte Canyon is snow free almost all the way to Helen Lake. I have not looked north of there because I am not going any farther north. Knapsack and Thunderbolt Pass have considerable snow. You would probably need traction and ice axe on those, although Barrett Basin is shown as melted out more, but lakes still frozen. I am planning on going up to Palisade Lake (via PCT) but the image beyond Deer Meadow is dated 7/15/14, so not much help. I am taking micro spikes (maybe crampons) and am returning over Bishop Pass so could stash them in Dusy Basin to avoid carrying them all the time. Not an option for you. Micro spikes do not weigh that much so perhaps good to just throw them in. Micro-spikes would give you the freedom of walking on the snow early in the morning when it could be icy. Night temperatures next week forecast as just below freezing.
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted

Post by Trailguru »

I actually will be doing the same exact trip over the same period as well. I have a permit for 19th thru 27th going over Bishop Pass. I wouldn't be too concerned with snow. We are actually planning on coming out via Lamarck Col so that is my concern as well but snow is melting fast. Here is the latest from Gaia GPS Freshstat layer as of May 26hth, 2022

https://imgur.com/a/B9ugC87
tnewton
Topix Novice

Post by tnewton »

Thanks for the quick replies, it’s helpful. I think I’ll plan to do the classic south to north loop and decide about the glacier divide alternate once I see the conditions. The mosquitoes might help me decide. Have a great trip wanderingdaisy. Maybe we’ll cross paths trailguru. Cheers
tnewton
rjszanto
Topix Novice

Post by rjszanto »

Hi,

I am planning to go over Lamarck Col on 6/22, joining some PCT hikers on their way to VVR. I plan to bail up Seven Gables trail, over Feather Pass, Merriam Lake, French to Paiute Pass and out by the 28th. I have done Lamarck 3 times but always from the west in August so I had the same concerns.

However, I have been looking at the Sentinel Hub photos and the snow seems to be making steady progress. Lower Lamarck Lake looks clear now and you can see the tarn on the east side of the col now. In’07, we went over the col in mid August of a heavy snow year and the east side was snowy sun cups all the way down and we handled it okay with just poles.

Have a great trip!

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel- ... ates=false
E7C885CB-0B46-425C-8A6D-421EC6C28303.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tnhgmia
Topix Acquainted

Post by tnhgmia »

I’m likewise curious about spikes/axe seeing the snow on parts of various passes in the area. I should reach that part by the 27th. If last year was fine this year may be even better I hope.

My friend is actually meeting me at onion valley on like the 23rd and leaving south lake on the 30/31. We could prob figure out a way to shuttle y’all if desired since so many of us will be in the area at that time?