Backpacks

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Backpacks

Post by robow8 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:01 pm Wow! I lived in Logan for five years in the mid-1990's. That is an idea- maybe stop by on my way to Wyoming this summer.
If you do go by, give them a call first to make sure that is okay. 435 753-5191
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

WD-
Agree with your thoughts about e-frame packs. After years of fighting between my Bearikade blazer and my Osprey, as well as hip belts that won't stay tensioned as set, am going back to my Kelty. Having a new bag made from 210D gridstop and a custom sized hip belt. The bag will be modeled after an old Trailwise 72; a big single compartment with two large side pockets. Top depth will be set so i can fit my bearikade horizontally near my shoulders as physics intended. Work will be done by John Campbell at Alpine Luddites. Wait time is nominally one year, but well worth it based on the other gear that he has made for me to date.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I found out an interesting fact when I went to REI yesterday. They have a contract with Osprey and Gregory that only allows them to sell a specific set of packs. Unfortunately, the Facet is not on their contract. I ended up buying nothing.

Got out the sewing machine and spent today and continued modifying old Kelty packs. Took shoulder straps off a very old Granite Gear Virga, replaced the old very wide straps on one Kelty. Converted the wide shoulder straps to a hip belt. Attached the Virga to another Kelty frame as a pack bag. Without its straps, it is lighter than the Kelty bag. The Kelty bag is old and very heavy but basically unused. I bought the entire Kelty pack at an REI garage sale for $20 mainly for the frame. So now I have two frames and three bags; light experimental bag I made out of old stuff sacks, original Kelty bag, and the pared down Virga. I can interchange them with either pack frame. Have an extender bar to add to either pack if needed. I now can make variations between about 3.5 pounds to 5 pounds. May try one of these on my next trip (20-day Bishop Pass permit), which will be mostly on trails. Forecast is for dry but cold; may have to add more clothing and micro-spikes. Would be good to have a bigger pack.

Once I try out these versions, I may do as you did oldhikerQ, have a professional sew a bag for the newer frame and make a customized hip belt.

Also cut up an old closed-cell sleeping pad and made a back pad for the GG Crown 60. It in fair shape but the back board killed my back. Bergans of Norway Helium 55 still is usable. So that is 5 choices of packs, all old or funky.
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

Looks like you are getting it all sorted out but Sierra Designs Capacitor backpack is reasonably priced, has good reviews (Section Hiker) and seems to most meet most of your needs. I have always been mostly unimpressed with Sierra Designs equipment but this one has been the exception.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

WD
Somewhat surprised that REI is limited to the Osprey and Gregory packs that they can purchase.
Do let us know how your experiment with the Kelty turns out. I thought (briefly) about trying to sew my own packbag, but calling my sewing skills rudimentary would be far too kind. Hence, having a professional make one.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
bielite
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bielite »

Have you ever considered Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor? I used 60-75L when I'm doing a week long trip with BV500 fitting horizontally. For comfort, it's pretty comfy at 35-40lb range. And it weights pretty light too!
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dapperdave »

A few to consider:

Seek Outside Divide

Exped Lightning 60

Elemental Horizons Kalais

Gossamer Gear Gorilla

Dave
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by stevet »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:01 pm I may test out my old Kelty frame that I have modified to make lighter. Took straps off my old GG Virga and used it for the pack bag. Bear can goes on top attached to extension bar.
A Kelty Tioga was my first real piece of high end gear and a great piece at that. Its first summer took me over Bishop Pass, across Palisades Basin, over Mather then Cartridge Pass to Marion Lake, the bushwhack down Cartridge Creek then ultimately up to Dusy Basin and back out. I understand your temptation to dust it off.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

I have been using an Exped lightning 60 for a couple years. It is no frills but can handle a good amount of weight.