Trip Advice Yosemite - Pohono Trail area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip Advice Yosemite - Pohono Trail area

Post by wsp_scott »

Based on @Wandering Daisy and @maiathebee trip reports, I have a permit for Yosemite starting on June 11. I mostly know what I'm planning on doing, but it is my first time to Yosemite and I figured that I would pick everyone's brains for additional ideas. Main goal is to take advantage of Glacier Point road closure and the Pohono Trail without crowds.

Last summer trip to give an idea about ability/interests (~70 miles and 20000' elevation) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22151

Plans (My permit is past LYV)
Fly to SFO and drive to Yosemite Valley (1st night in the backpacker's CG) Hope to get there early enough to get my permit.

1st day - Mist Trail to Echo Valley area. It looks like there is a good campsite not far past Bunnell Cascade near the bridge if I'm tired. Or on to Echo Valley.
2nd day - Connector trail North and West to the JMT and then the Forsyth Trail
3rd day - Over Clouds Rest and down to LYV (maybe continue towards Illilouette Creek Starr King area)
4th day - Panorama Trail to Glacier Point to Bridalveil Creek
5th day - Stanford Point
6th day - Tunnel View and hike the valley back to Backpacker's CG

7th day - 2nd permit - Yosemite Falls up to Eagle Point and El Cap
8th day - North Dome (I know I can't camp on the summit)
9th day - Tenaya Creek to Backpacker's CG

10th day - Drive towards Point Reyes (Samuel Taylor SP) for two nights before I catch my return flight.

Questions (feel free to PM me if you don't want to reply to this thread)
1) Parking for Backpacker's CG? It looks like North Pines is completely open so I assume I can just cut through to the Backpackers CG from the trailhead parking.
2) 1st night campsite? Bunnell Cascade or Echo Valley? From what I can tell by the map, Echo Valley should have tons of possible sites. Anyone have a secret site they want to share?
3) On my way towards JMT and then Clouds Rest, is the hike to Merced Lake worth it?
4) Campsites along the Forsyth Trail along Sunrise Creek (before the climb towards Clouds Rest)? Or carry water from the creek and dry camp higher up? Secret Site?
5) Not sure how I feel about staying in LYV given the crowds, should I continue towards Illiloutte? Any recommended site that would set me up to get to Glacier Point and then Bridalveil Creek?
6) all of this is on trails and not super long days. Any side trips I should check out? Good place for lunch with a view?
7) Best food in the Valley? Not looking for fancy, pizza, burger, ... and a beer

I'm going to get killed by mosquitos, right?

Thanks for reading if you made it this far :)
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Advice Yosemite - Pohono Trail area

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Bridalveil to Stanford Point is a really short hike. LYV to Bridalveil is a long hike. Unfortunately, there is not a "legal" way to get around the mis-matched mileage days except to drop down to Illouette Creek to camp and then do Illouette to Stanford. The creek at Stanford Point may be dry so be prepared to walk out if needed.

I like the campsite at the bridge above Bunnell Falls. It is shady, which you may want if it is really hot.

The cross trail to the JMT may have considerable deadfall.

The Forsyth Trail may have snow (it does now).

The ridge from Forsyth Trail to Clouds Rest may have some snow (it does now). Be careful- the actual ridge on Clouds Rest, if snow, has a cornice-stay away from the far edge. The trail down from Clouds Rest will probably be dry when you are there.

As for the second permit, I just put up a trip report you may want to look at.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

Thanks @Wandering Daisy for the reply, especially about Clouds Rest. Maybe I'll just aim to climb up on the west side so I don't get blocked by snow. Given the weather forecast for the next week, how likely is the snow to linger?

Would you recommend Illouette Creek vs LYV to make getting up to Glacier Point a little easier? I think one of your trip reports mentioned camping below Mt Starr King right about the first legal point for camping, maybe someone else though?

I appreciate the North Rim report as well, I had not thought about the possibility of uncleared trails early in the season.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

You can camp on North Dome. There are two good campsites. One larger site is at the bottom after the trail winds down the cliff before the final climb up to the top. The other is to the left in the couple of trees a little above the other site. There are fire rings at both sites. However, there is no water so you have to carry it. The nearest water is at Royal Arch Creek. The view is magnificent.

HalfDome-rock-sunset-1-1.jpg

You can also camp at Crocker Point. You get a great view of Bridalveil Falls from there. There's a small creek that may be still running between Dewey Point and Crocker Point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

That is a beautiful photo @LMBSGV but regarding North Dome, I received this email from Yosemite after my permit was approved
We have reviewed your Yosemite Wilderness Permit Reservation and would like to inform you of camping restrictions along the North Rim of Yosemite Valley. You do not need to modify your itinerary or respond to this email.

Camping is not permitted at the top of Yosemite Falls, at Yosemite Point, or on the summit of North Dome.

Due to increased bear activity, the area to the south and east of the footbridge on the Snow Creek Trail is closed to overnight camping. For more information about this camping closure, please visit the National Park Service website and view the Safety Closures (Wildlife Protection) section.

Your first night’s camp location must be south of Tioga Road and west of Olmsted Point. To be considered a wilderness camping area, you must camp at least four trail miles from Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite Valley, Glacier Point, Hetch Hetchy, and Wawona, and at least one air mile from any road.
Maybe there is a distinction between the summit and the campsites you mention. I'd definitely like to have that view for the night.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The "x" is the top of North Dome. no camping. Campsites are in the gully to the north. There are plenty of flat sandy spots on the bench above the gully (northwest), with a few sparse trees and good views. When I was there last week Lehamite Creek was running good, Royal Arch Creek was about a foot wide with fair flow but may dry up by the time you get to it, and there was a small seep north of Natural Arch that probably not be there when you go. Best to ask about water if you meet someone coming the other direction.

As for Little Yosemite Valley campsite, it is a good location logistically. It is big so you probably can find a less crowded site away from the outhouse and main trail. The Illouette campsites are awkward and add extra distance and elevation gain.
NorthDomeWater.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

The camp symbol to the north of the summit X on WD's map has the first site I mentioned. The second site where I camped is to the right of the dotted trail line and to the left of the "T" in Yosemite. A ranger was taking a small group on a dayhike when I camped there and he waved hello as they walked by on the the way up and down from the top. The first night I was there, I had the place to myself. The second night, a woman camped in the first site and built a fire. Otherwise, after 5:00, I had the place to myself. I hope you can manage to camp there.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

Thanks @LMBSGV and @Wandering Daisy for the North Dome help, I really appreciate it.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

6 nights is a long time for that first trip. Based on how dry it was last weekend down there, I think you can expect mostly snow-free travel even up to Sunrise / Cathedral by June 11, except on north slopes or in forested areas.

I would recommend 1st night Bunnell / Echo Valley, then north up Echo / Cathedral to meet the JMT closer to Sunrise Lakes, camp at Sunrise Lakes 2nd night. Up Cloud's Rest (either drop your pack at the junction) and go up then down, or just walk over, 3rd night at LYV. Then pick up the Pohono trail. Just saw a trip report for Stanford Point that said no water. I've found a little trickle nearby early season but by June 11 you'll be dry camping. Load up water at Bridalveil.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

@maiathebee thanks for that info, especially about water near Stanford Point. I like the idea of Sunrise Lakes, thanks for that suggestion.

The first trip will be 5 nights, do any of your suggestions change?