stop by & say hello

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

stop by & say hello

Post by Silky Smooth »

Hi everyone, as the roads are opening up and people are starting to head out on adventures. I wanted to welcome everyone to stop by and say hello at Coachwhip Cafe. I have met a handful of you HST members but there are soo many of you I have yet to meet. With the pandemic and Mark's passing and so many other things happening in the world. Life is precious and time moves fast. Lets not forget about those dammnn fires. I still have ptsd from the last 2 years. We have a really nice community here and I just wanted to extend a warm welcome to each of you, next time any of you are on the eastside. We have a great library of outdoor, natural history, bird & fauna books, as well as any map you can think of, and of course amazing food. We are working on having some interpretive talks on our 1.65 acres outdoor dining area. Keep you posted. Love to chat with you and talk sierra things and adventures. Stop by and say hello!

www.coachwhipcafe.com

-Silky Smooth
Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: stop by & say hello

Post by Harlen »

Thanks for the welcome invitation. As one of the fortunate, I can attest to the magic of your place, and the whole scene you're busy creating there.
What a great place to begin our Sierra adventures, and then to celebrate a prodigal return...
Can we order our Ouzo now? Yasou! Harlen-Xeniades.
Last edited by Harlen on Sat May 14, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Hey, thanks for the invitation. We usually head south from Sonora Pass, but now you've given us a reason to head north!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

balzacom writes:
Hey, thanks for the invitation. We usually head south from Sonora Pass, but now you've given us a reason to head north!
Indeed, The Coachwhip is 20 minutes from here:

Leavitt to Buckeye 005.JPG
Leavitt Meadows high country, and 30 minutes from Buckeye Canyon:

Leavitt to Buckeye 011.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Thank you so much Harlen! You nailed it. Soo much more than just amazing food, it's about community, people and of course the mtns. Our first farm to table greens are starting to roll in. Can you believe it, farm to table in the eastern sierra! Liane and I adopted the section of the PCT from Sonora to Ebbets Pass, just became official. It is the 10 year anniversary of our PCT thru hike, quite fitting. We've been playing and working hard the last 10 years; from Yosemite to Glacier NP, and all over the sierra. It's been a wonderful journey. We love hiking, climbing, skiing, paddling to name a few and we are always up to something. We love chatting with folks about their adventures or just bullshittn about birds and fauna. Come lay on the lawn or pick our brain about gear or do a shake out before your trip. We have a really nice group of people here on the HST and love to meet more of you and hear about your summer adventures.

Look forward to meeting you Balzaccom!

great colors on those photos Harlen :) bear looks soo handsome
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

I just drove by yesterday. :( I'm generally along that stretch of 395 once or twice a year, and will try to stop in next time if time allows. :)

I bumped into someone years back in Tuolumne who was trying to set up a farm near Walker - 55 acres of land and focusing on citrus trees if I remember correctly? I wrote down contact information but lost it at some point during the summer. I wonder if they're part of your farm to table setup.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Citrus trees in an area that gets that much frost? Sounds like a poor investment...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Micro greens for now, the last frost wreaked havoc for the ranchers/farmers. We have heirloom lettuces, radishes, peas, tomatoes, shishito pepper's and a whole bunch of other yummy stuff in the works. Our eggs and duck eggs are local, honey's local. Things are happening now that spring/summer is really here :)

Thanks Erutan! See you on your next adventure down here
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Forgot about you guys, will head down soon! Kristine Need the peaks a little south and west of you!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Your menu and photos look yummy. I may be through in late July with my son. We plan to stay in Walker on the night of the 29th. The only question is whether we'll be done fishing (we'll be fishing near Leavitt Meadow earlier in the day) in time to drop in while you're open.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;