Colby Pass to Elizabeth Pass on the Ridgeline

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DogMama
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Colby Pass to Elizabeth Pass on the Ridgeline

Post by DogMama »

Planning to backpack to Colby Pass this July and wondered if it is possible to hike along the ridge to Elizabeth Pass. Has anyone done this? Want to keep it around class 1-2.

Thanks!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Colby Pass to Elizabeth Pass on the Ridgeline

Post by cgundersen »

DogMama,
The last time in that area, my buddy and I scoped out the entire ridgeline to the southwest of Colby pass with the goal of achieving a shortcut to Triple Divide pass (a moderately stiff class 2 all by itself). When no good options presented themselves, we descended and camped at the shallow lake in the upper reaches of the Kern-Kaweah basin and ascended the ridge directly to the North the next morning. By going up that ridge, one winds up about a quarter mile East from the final ascent to Triple Divide pass. Once you get over that hump, it is feasible to traverse from there over the ridge that Copper mine pass crosses and reach the North side of Elizabeth pass. But dancing the full Ridgeline from Colby to Elizabeth is going to be way beyond class 2. I'm sure there are folk who can do it; I'm not one. cameron
DogMama
Topix Novice

Post by DogMama »

Thanks Cameron - Appreciate the detailed report!
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

As Cameron said staying on the ridge line doesn't go at class 2. But if you're willing to deviate it can work. If you can make it up the ridge immediately west of colby pass then it's easy to traverse across beautiful terrain to TD pass. From TD pass it's simple to get to Coppermine pass and thus Elizabeth pass. I found crossing that first ridge the trickiest part. Steep smooth granite where I crossed that might've approached class 3. But perhaps I just didn't find the right spot. Otherwise excellent route.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Hey DogMama, I have a few photos that might indicate the difficulty. I went up toward TDP from the high lake not far south of Colby Pass-- elev. 3500m. I unwittingly managed to get into some fairly severe climbing for a short stretch above that lake. Once in the high basin it was fun route finding over to TDP-- even w/o ascending the ridge. It's a great trip from Colby to Elizabeth, and it looks even better to carry on to Horn Col, something I'd like to try.

100_0374.jpg
On Colby in the light snows of October. The view is to the SSW. Below is a closeup of that same south-western ridge you are asking about. It looks challenging, but there might be a neat way along it.

100_0379.jpg
...for somebody else to try

100_0392.jpg
I traversed across to TDP, which is seen here, marked by the very white snowfield in line with TD Peak.
100_0392.jpg
The green arrow marks TDPeak; The blue dashed line marks the path I used; and the red circle surrounds some very steep, and exposed ridgeline. You sure could stay high on that ridge-- perhaps right on the crest of it part of the way, and then traverse a higher line than I used, but I think I'd drop down below that red zone.

100_0550.jpg
This is from near the summit of Coppermine Peak looking SW along the ridge route to Elizabeth Pass, seen in the distance; it's that smooth, white saddle, with a small peak just to the right of it. Note the snowy line of the old mining trail, which leads to E. Pass, and Horn Col.

Good luck on whatever route you choose, it's a great area. Ian.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
DogMama
Topix Novice

Post by DogMama »

Hi Harlen - Thank you for the beautiful pictures and detailed info - your trip looks stunning.
k2pooh
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by k2pooh »

How was the snow on Colby and Elizabeth Passes?