Timing Q (I don’t like mosquitos)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Timing Q (I don’t like mosquitos)

Post by Matthewkphx »

I’m sitting on four permits and I think I need to start to make some decisions about when I want to take my one trip to the Sierras this year. Once I make a decision I will release the other three permits so others can get them.

I have two permits around June 25 and two around July 13. Each pair is for Sabrina Basin and North Lake.

I’d like to avoid mosquito pressure as much as possible. I think that means I should use the mid-July permits rather than the late-June permits. I know I’m only talking about 2.5 weeks difference so maybe it won’t make much difference.

Any advice here?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Timing Q (I don’t like mosquitos)

Post by cgundersen »

Matt,
If you're like my wife who hates bugs, hold off a couple more weeks in July and you should be good. Alternatively, move up your June entry a couple weeks and you should also avoid most of the beasties. Otherwise, I'm guessing you'll be in prime DEET time. Cameron
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

And PLEASE cancel the permits you don't use in time for some other hiker to enjoy a trip!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sabrina is a closed basin on the east side, with lower elevations than Humphreys Basin (which is where I assume you would go with a permit from North Lake). The advantage of Humphreys is that there are a lot of choices of where to go; if buggy at one, perhaps going up to a higher location with a breeze would help. Do not know if you want to do off-trail, but in Sabrina, you could go to the lakes high above Blue Lake to get into windy locations with less mosquitoes. I would look at a snow depth map (FS has one) and compare snowpack now in Sabrina vs Humphreys. Not sure how to get melt-out dates to compare Sabrina to Humphreys. If fishing is important, I think Humphreys is better. But Sabrina is very stunningly beautiful.

Not sure how much I would base my decision on mosquitoes alone. Take head nets and "bugs-off" clothing and camp where there is more wind. Another strategy I use when there are mosquitoes, is to base camp (only need to fuss with getting swarmed a few times when setting up) and then long day hikes where I can keep moving a lot. Doing some scrambling up peaks also gets you out of the mosquitoes.

I would wait a few more weeks before deciding. Releasing unused permits by mid-June should be sufficient to be sure they are utilized by others.

How many days are you planning on? As much as I like Sabrina, it is limited and not the best for a long trip of more than a week. There is just so much more available over Piute Pass.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

cgundersen wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:25 am Matt,
If you're like my wife who hates bugs, hold off a couple more weeks in July and you should be good. Alternatively, move up your June entry a couple weeks and you should also avoid most of the beasties. Otherwise, I'm guessing you'll be in prime DEET time. Cameron
Yep. Mid-June to mid-July is prime bug season. The last week in July is probably the sweet spot when the bugs have died down, but fire season has yet to start in earnest.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Thanks for the responses!

1) I promise I will release the extra permits pretty soon. No need to hoard permits I will not use.

2) I wish I could move my trip earlier or later but I have work obligations before June 15 and after August 1.

3) @Wandering Daisy Thanks for the advice! Yes, if I go in North Lake I will wander around Humphreys Basin. Good point that Humphreys Basin provides more options finding campsites with a breeze. I'm not sure about the length of the trip. No more than maybe 5 nights? I'm nursing a couple of injuries right now so lower mileage in Sabrina Basin might be fun. That said, Humphreys Basin is not a high mileage trip but gives me more area to cover if I'm feeling good. I feel like I am talking myself into HB.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

During the last horrible multi year drought skeets seemed to bloom at their normal times but not stick around as long. I would anticipate mid June, or perhaps earlier, will be bad, but they may taper off more quickly than in wetter years.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The current dates of images on Google Earth for Sabrina Basin are 5/31/14. East of Cataract Creek are 7/17/16. Anyway, 2016 was similar to this year and 2016 a bit more snow than this year for the same time. You could compare snow in Sabrina vs Humphreys, and then figure about 1-2 weeks after snow melt, mosquitoes hatch. Look at Google Earth; it may give you a guess at which area is best for which timeframe.

June is variable so I patch together a lot of information; my previous trips, CDEC snow data, Google Earth image dates, and PCT hiker data. A group of PCT hikers are now in Bishop, came out Kearsarge, a few farther ahead. Bottom line, prepare for likely conditions, and be willing to turn back if needed.

For example, I have a permit over Bishop Pass 6/7-17 and am concerned about snow on the pass east side. I also did a trip to Dusy Basin 6/25-30 2016 so know what the snow was like then-- only a small piece of the switchbacks covered with snow- on the way out it had melted. No mosquitoes on that trip. Very little snow either, except patches in shadows.

My upcoming trip includes lots of different elevations; a majority of the trip will be down in LeConte Canyon with side trips to Palisade Lake, Devils Washboard (if I can cross the creek), and up to Amphitheater Lake (north facing slope so trail may be covered by snow), and perhaps a side trip to Barrett Lakes. I have done Thunderbolt Pass early season before and it actually is better with more snow. There are lots of options, even if I cannot get over Bishop Pass.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

I have a solo permit for June 13th for Piute Pass. I don't usually go in June and expect I will encounter skeeters. I plan to stay at a higher elevation in the basin and go on day hikes, perhaps to Hutchinson Meadow. I was there last year and it's beautiful along the river. I also don't know what snow conditions will be like on the pass. I'll wait and see.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hey Matt,
I just booked an 11 day trip over Piute, coming out on June 5th, so I'll be able to give you a heads up soon after returning. If we mis-time the bugs, my wife won't forgive me......Cameron