Bearikade Blazer

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Bearikade Blazer

Post by westmatt »

Looking to drop a bit of weight by replacing my BV500 with the Blazer. With the BV500 at 12.7" tall by 8.7" diameter, and the Bearikade at 12" tall by 9" diameter, and given that I've always carried the BV500 horizontally with no problems, I don't foresee the fit to be a problem. Aside from the obvious sticky point - the cost - just looking for a reality check. Am I missing any important considerations?

thanks
-Matt
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Re: Bearikade Blazer

Post by TurboHike »

I use a bearvault, but I've seen several bearikade reviews, mostly on backpackinglight, where the user claims the metal edge of the bearikade tends to wear a hole in their backpack. The bearvault edges are very rounded, while the bearikade metal edges are sharper. If you google "bearikade edge abrasion" you'll get some hits and you can read it yourself.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

This depends on the pack - in the same pack, the Blazer will take up slightly more room as it's closer to a perfect cylinder, whereas the BV500 has quite rounded edges.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

The edges on the barricade are "broken" - that is they are not sharp angles, they have a slight radius at the corners. If they are wearing holes in packs it may be due to forcing the canister to fit a pack that must be stretched taut to accommodate the canister.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

I bought a custom size - same internal capacity as the bv500, but at 11.25 inches in height. Won't be a problem.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

Got the can today - it fits horizontally in the Catalyst with way less effort than the BV500.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

I only use my two Bearikades vertically, and it is not a lot of fun working in some items around them.
With the Z-Packs mid-weight cuban fiber Z-Blast pack, the Bearikades definitely produce a damaging wear line.
I don't think it is an issue with the newer Dyneema fabrics they are using.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

westmatt wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:39 pm Got the can today - it fits horizontally in the Catalyst with way less effort than the BV500.
Wow... Not sure how you are doing that horizontally as my Weekender (3/4 inch shorter than yours) would wear holes in my Catalyst (ULA) unless vertical. Even vertically I put a pack-towel between the top rim and outside of the pack fabric as it looks like it could rub there. I also fine-sanded down the rim edges a bit more too (at the top) as the 90 degree angle there seemed a bit too sharp to me.
I far prefer a bearcan to be horizontal, but the weight saving of the Bearikade has made me "compromise" and go vertical - for now.
P.S. My Catalyst only has three trips on it so may expand a bit more yet. When brand new there was no way the Weekender would fit horizontally, but now it does - though too tight for my comfort level re the abrasion potential.

M.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

It's not the stock Blazer - I had it cut down to 11.25" long - 1.5" shorter than the BV500, which has always gone in horizontally with not too much difficulty.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Anything sewn can have small variations due to the imprecision of sewing. Are you sure each pack is the same size? Also if not manufactured the same year, small changes in size are possible. Pack manufacturers update models regularly.

You may try soaking the pack in warm water and then fit the bear can in when the pack is wet and let it dry with the bear can inside. This will stretch the material.