Forecast of Peak creek flows

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Forecast of Peak creek flows

Post by Wandering Daisy »

https://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/awipsProducts/RNOHFSSPK.php

This website gives forecasts of peak snowmelt flows. I am not sure if the forecast is total stream depth at peak snowmelt, or just the snowmelt portion. Regardless the forecast of depths, the dates of peak flows would be similar. location; probable date -- latest date (low probability)

Merced at Happy Isles; 5/22 -- 6/4
Merced at Pohono Bridge; 5/8 -- 6/3
Tuolumne at Hetch Hetchy; 5/22 -- 5/29
Cherry Creek at Cherry Lake; 5/22 -- 6/10
Elenore Lake; 5/8 -- 6/4
Consumnes; 5/8 -- 5/31
West Walker; 5/8 -- 5/31
East Walker at Bridgeport; 5/26 -- 6/6
Kings at Pine Flat; 5/24 -- 5/24
Lk Keweah; 5/8-- 5/26
San Joaquin at Millerton; 5/19 -- 6/9

These are reported daily and may change daily depending on the weather forecast.

Here is my interpretation, please correct me if wrong. Bottom line is that peak flows have yet happened. This next week may be peak flows, especially with forecast snow and rain. I am not sure if Kings, Keweah and San Joaquin locations are unimpaired flow. If there is an upstream dam then the inflows are controllable. There is a little travel time downstream so tributary upstream flows may peak a bit earlier.

Additionally, very cold temperatures in the Sierra for the next 5 days. May not reach above freezing at 8000 feet and lows in the teens. Not a lot of snow predicted, but maybe 5-6 inches. Mixed rain and snow at 6000 feet. This may push the probable peak flows into next week or two.
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Forecast of Peak creek flows

Post by JayOtheMountains »

Thank you WD!