Reality Check: Loop with the PCT late May

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cjwesthoff
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Reality Check: Loop with the PCT late May

Post by cjwesthoff »

I'm doing an early June trip so have been looking for current trail information as well. Here is a good video of the trail conditions in late April 2022 showing several passes, but the time stamp for this link is Forester Pass: https://youtu.be/YIYvXh7B2LE?t=1161
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Golly that video of the PCT is stunning in respect to snow levels - or lack of them!
I mean, I would not have expected so much of the trail free of all snow, let alone going up Whitney and Forester with so little of the stuff. Conditions look very do-able for those southern and eastern sections of KCNP. I would be off right now if not for this very, very cold looking stint coming in shortly.
The early May heatwave of c. 100 degrees that often hits where I live did not happen this year, and showers forecasted for tomorrow so maybe a bit more snow up in the high country yet.
Sure getting antsy to get up there. Sigh.

Best ~ Michaelzim
graphon
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by graphon »

Thought I would give a somewhat late update. The trip was excellent! Did exactly the loop I had planned out of Roads End without any major issues (besides one scary crossing of palisade creek) and had an excellent time. There is nothing like the high sierra in the snow. Even had extra time for a side trip to 60 Lakes Basin and some exploring around vidette meadow. Thanks for all of the advice!
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Hope to see a trip report soon and lots of photos! :)

Did you end up with this plan? "I also plotted an alternate via Woods Creek that cuts off 11 miles and significant elevation gain in the event that I am not making the miles I expect." Am presuming that was the Woods Creek trail to/from Roads End.
If so, what was that bridge-less crossing like of the South Fork of the Kings at the north end of Paradise Valley (aka junction of Woods Creek and the S.F. Kings)?
Also, did you have to ever use the ice axe and/or micro-spikes?

Thanks ~ Michaelzim
graphon
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by graphon »

I've been quite busy so I haven't had time to write a trip report, but I might try to post one before leaving for the CDT if I find some time.

I started from Roads End and went over Granite Pass to the middle fork of the Kings, so I didn't cross the south fork of the Kings at Paradise Valley.

I used the ice axe/spikes going over Mather Pass and Glen Pass. On Pinchot I had the ice axe out but never really needed it and didn't put on my crampons.