Need a ride to Roads End

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Andrew R
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Need a ride to Roads End

Post by Andrew R »

Hi everyone,

My name is Andrew, I’m from NC but I will be in the bay area for a friend’s wedding this June. I’d love to hike in the sierras afterward (I have about 4 days), but i don’t have a car. I’m thinking of traversing from Roads End at Kings Canyon to the JMT and Mt. Whitney, then out Whitney Portal.

I found a greyhound to Fresno, and I found a bus out from Lone Pine. The only missing link is how to get from Fresno to Roads End.

Might any of y’all be available to drive me to Roads End on the evening of June 5 or morning of June 6? If not, what do y’all think of Uber (seems expensive?) vs hitching (seems hit or miss in that area, but I’ve never been).

Thank you all!
Andrew R
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Re: Need a ride to Roads End

Post by TurboHike »

The Sequoia Shuttle is running, but it departs Visalia, not Fresno. Link is below. The shuttle goes to Giant Forest, or near there. You'd then have to hitch to Road's End or hike from Giant Forest.

Four days from Road's End to Whitney Portal is not impossible, but it is an aggressive timetable IMO; something like 53 miles, +14K in elevation, -11K in elevation, total. So those are big days! If you can get a permit out of Road's End, the Rae Lakes loop is more doable in that timeframe; about 41 miles, with +/-7K in elevation if you return to Road's End. You could also exit Kearsarge Pass on the east side and hitch to Independence, making it about a 21 mile trip.

https://www.sequoiashuttle.com/
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jim F »

Andrew,

With limited time to experience the High Sierras, perhaps you should not waste your time seeking opportunities on California's Third World public transportation system on the west side of the Sierras. Starting in June, United has daily nonstop one hour flights from SFO to Bishop (the other side of California). Some consider Bishop ground zero for initiating adventure in the Highest Sierras. Study of efficient transportation opportunities from Bishop to east side trailheads will lead to many options. After your hike, fly back to SFO. (I never fail to enjoy flying over the Sierras and identifying all the terrain and future outing possibilities.)

Understand that snow might be an issue to deal with in June. A few days ago there was a body recovery in the Mt Whitney area. There were several rescues just prior to that. These all involved snow travel.

In May and June, PCT hikers should be sending out reports on the conditions they are encountering on the JMT. These might be worth checking out.

Enjoy your visit to California.

Jim
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

Uber is entirely unreliable for getting into the park.

When I did the HST, another couple starting the same day as me were relying on uber to get them up to the park. They couldn't find any ubers, or taxis at the last minute to handle it.

There are various services that you can pay to get into the park - I don't recall their names (one of them is Three RIvers something or another), but if you ask on the Rae Lakes/High Sierra Trail facebook groups, you may figure it out fairly quickly.
GGC23
Topix Acquainted

Post by GGC23 »

If you're car-less, I'd second the recommendation to start your hike from the east side, rather than the west side. While it might be tempting to start from the west side because you're already on that side, the roads to the west side trailheads generally require 50-75 miles of driving on winding, single lane roads between the major highway and the trailhead. Conversely, on the east side, most trailheads are 10-15 miles from a major highway. That makes hitching to/from a trailhead much easier on the east side.

If you fly into the Bishop Airport, the Eastern Sierra Transit Authority offers a shuttle from Bishop up Highway 168 to all the major trailheads up there. Additionally, you can take the Eastern Sierra Transit Authority bus from Bishop to Mammoth, where you can connect to Mammoth's free town trolly system, the Red's Meadow bus, or YARTS if you want to go to the Yosemite area.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

ive done a trip carless out of visalia

got dorpped off by a friend passing through at a hotel in visalia that had a shuttle bus stop. shuttle bus up to lodgepole. got permit, backpacked for 5 days if i remember right. Then from lodgepole shuttle bus back to hotel in visalia, then took public transportation back to my house in southern california.

Although I havent repeated it, it was pretty liberating being so far from home without a car, and it went smooth. I actually ended up in mineral king and hitch hiked back to lodgepole but obviously you wouldnt need to do that. But if you wanted to consider it....I found a ride with he first person I asked before I even exited the wilderness
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

also whatever you do if you do rely on public transportation triple check the schedule

I once did a trip in yosemite where I was depending on the the shuttle that goes from the valley to tuolumne meadows to get me back to my car....and was a week early for the beginning of the daily runs. I got stuck and had to wait for the weekend. It was definately a pleasant suprise to get a few extra days in the valley haha
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

@Andrew R
A hike into the high Sierra that time of year often has snow on passes and high water creek crossing to spice things up. You want to more closely research your route, and come prepared.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Bonestyles
Topix Newbie

Post by Bonestyles »

I'd recommend posting to craigslist in Fresno. I did this a few years back and was able to find a ride from the greyhound station to Road's End. I camped in the guy's yard for a night and he dropped me at the trailhead in the AM. Super easy, and I just tipped him like 40 bucks.

There are folks out there who provide this shuttle service semi-regularly.
esco
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by esco »

I agree to begin in Bishop (East side). Those small towns on the east side of the sierras more directly cater to backpackers, fishermen etc. A very high percentage of of every vehicle/person that you see will be fellow backpackers so they would be much more likely to give you a lift. Almost everyone on the west-side will be people who are camping or just visiting the park for the day and therefore are not as trusting, not heading to a trailhead or the vehicle has no available room. Also, most trails begin at a higher elevation so you will see more in a smaller amount of time and require less elevation gain on foot.