Getting into Whitney Portal

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
ironmike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Getting into Whitney Portal

Post by ironmike »

Jim F wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:21 pm On May 6, the Pacific Crest Trail Association noted the death of a long-distance hiker on Mt Whitney (from trauma in an accident related to snow travel.) I believe this is the third death on Mt Whitney related to snow travel in the last three weeks. Summer has not yet arrived on the Mountain, even if it might be 80F at the beach.

Jim
Not sure what this has to do with the thread topic, or Harlen’s original question, but thanks for the update.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Getting into Whitney Portal

Post by Harlen »

Jim F wrote: ↑Wed May 11, 2022 6:21 pm
On May 6, the Pacific Crest Trail Association noted the death of a long-distance hiker on Mt Whitney (from trauma in an accident related to snow travel.) I believe this is the third death on Mt Whitney related to snow travel in the last three weeks. Summer has not yet arrived on the Mountain, even if it might be 80F at the beach.

Jim
Not sure what this has to do with the thread topic, or Harlen’s original question, but thanks for the update.
I suppose Jim is mentioning this to remind me not to take the Whitney trail too lightly. It's good advice, as I was likely to bring minimal gear since I'll be loaded down with skis and some winter gear. With the head's-up, thanks to Jim, I'll take crampons and an axe, if I can fit a trip in. I wonder if people trying to complete Whitney in a day might be erringon the side of ultralight gear? For instance, micro-spikes over crampons,; and light and fast approach shoes instead of solid boots; and ski poles and not an ice axe? I feel awful for the victims and their families too.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.