Getting into Whitney Portal

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Getting into Whitney Portal

Post by Harlen »

Do any of you have the current knowledge on getting into the Portal? I wonder if I can drive to the 8365' trailhead, and leave a car there?
I am pretty sure that TH quotas do not apply till after April, so the permit should be easy? That's another question.

p.s. I've tried to reach the Inyo RS without success.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Getting into Whitney Portal

Post by CAchief »

A 2 week old review on AllTrails reflects Whitney Portal Road is still under seasonal closure but is due to open April 30th to the TH.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Pretty standard to drive to the closure (or snow line) and park so you’re not blocking anyone.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

E01CA0B2-0330-4753-8390-D48B64EA7D32.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Great news Kristine! Thanks for that. Checked out some images from a recent trip report on the Mt Whitney forum, and it's hard to tell what the conditions are like on the west side of Trail Crest. Might be on again/off again with the skis, but I'm sure high in the Kern it's full of snow.

miter basin-073.JPG

miter basin-072.JPG
That's the place to be!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jim F »

Harlen.

This morning (4/26) Doug Thompson (owner of the Whitney Portal Store and moderator of www.mountwhitneyforum.com) notes on the Whitney Portal Store Message Board:

"The 47 Buick that had the Road Closed sign in the grill was the official opening, but overheated before the final gate and was pushed over the side. Now the combo truck/38 foot trailer is backing down the road., Thlinda doing a great job of traffic control and guidance.

The County may open the road soon but the problem is the upper gate that is controlled by the Forest Service. They keep this gate locked so they can do cleanup and repairs, very limited staff and many areas to get cleaned and open.

Water was turned on and tested last week and ready.

If it all works out in the next few days we will open, the store is stocked and ready."

Jim
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

Doug Sr just posted on the the Whitney Portal Store Message Board that the Upper Gate on the Portal Road is now open. So now it is back to business as usual at Whitney Portal. Hopefully, it stays this way for the remainder of the season.

First members of the PCT Class of 2022 now passing through Kennedy Meadows. Will be following their reports carefully.

Jim
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Jim writes:
Doug Sr just posted on the the Whitney Portal Store Message Board that the Upper Gate on the Portal Road is now open. So now it is back to business as usual at Whitney Portal. Hopefully, it stays this way for the remainder of the season.

First members of the PCT Class of 2022 now passing through Kennedy Meadows. Will be following their reports carefully.
Jim
Thanks for the clear information Jim. I am still dead keen to get in there, but I believe I've missed the April 30, easy WP period. I assume its a lot more difficult now to obtain a Permit. I got stalled out by work, but still hope to get in to ski the upper Kern. With all the carrying over dry ground, I'm thinking to take my lightest NNNBC boots and skis. But when?!
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

Harlen,

Go to rec.gov and check current Mt Whitney permit availability. For overnight trips, there is availability everyday for the next two weeks. For day hikers, nearly everyday in May still has availability.

Looks like we have some colder weather with winds beginning soon in that area, with possible new snow. After this clears, I might snag one of those permits and head up the Mountain. From the Summit, I always find it thrilling to gaze out over the Sierras as they wake up from the Winter.

Hope you can launch your ski trip.

Jim
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

On May 6, the Pacific Crest Trail Association noted the death of a long-distance hiker on Mt Whitney (from trauma in an accident related to snow travel.) I believe this is the third death on Mt Whitney related to snow travel in the last three weeks. Summer has not yet arrived on the Mountain, even if it might be 80F at the beach.

Jim