3 weeks in May

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
HermanBlume
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

3 weeks in May

Post by HermanBlume »

Experienced hiker, Level 3 (JMT + PCT sections 23?! years ago, but not super experienced in Sierra ). I’m flying in from Czech Republic to wander for a few weeks in the Sierra backcountry starting May 3.

Limitations:
- Need public trans. from San Francisco (bus/train/YARTS- Yos. ok, but I think YARTS connects SEKI only from May 9). No expensive shuttles, so just Amtrak/YARTS, Grayhound, etc.
- Can buy spikes/yak-traks if it massively opens things up for me, but ideally no, and won’t have my crampons. Stream crossings max knee-deep.
- Am hoping to get a permit by showing up and being flexible with precise start-date/trailhead.
- Am an experiences counter-balancer, but I guess I’ll need a bear canister.

Low snow year, but I assume much of the high country will still be rather inaccessible to me w/o spikes - and depending on that week’s forecast. Would like to avoid camping in snow. I don’t mind wandering the low country, may be a nice option given the lack of crowds in May? But I don’t want to get crushed by mosquitoes. In shape, don’t mind a few 15 mile+ days, don’t mind 0-2 mile days / base-camping.

I guess my backup plan is now to get into Yosemite, talk to rangers, then wander. Would like to get up high, but time among the Sierra’s beautiful trees is more than fine too. Would consider the same in SEKI, but doesn’t seem like YARTS will be running yet.

1. any suggestions on Yosemite vs. Sequoia or parts btw, which place would be best for this wander? Or which part of Yosemite?
2. Expected trail-snow elevations advice, some words on mosquitoes (still itch from Evolution Valley in July 15 yrs ago).

Any other words of wisdom highly appreciated. After a work trip, may return in June for another few weeks, hopefully higher. Then back home 'cross the pond.

Just discovered this forum/community. What a gem!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 3 weeks in May

Post by balzaccom »

In simple terms, May is tough. The high country is under snow, even in a low snow year (Tioga Pass, the primary road through Yosemite, usually doesn't even open to traffic until late May...and the surrounding country still has lots of snow on it)

So that means you'll need to aim at lower elevations in these parks, and most of the longer trails head up into the high country. You could try a snow trip (that would avoid mosquitoes) but it would require gear to hike, eat, and sleep on snow. Maybe not what you are thinking.

There are quite a few trails that you could link together (A North Rim traverse in Yosemite would take a few days, and you could string it together with a South Rim traverse the Panorama Trail, but you would never be more than about 5-6 miles from a trailhead) but I'm not sure that would meet your vision of backcountry hiking...

There's a reason these parks don't really care about backcountry reservations until June...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Permits and quotas start on April 29. You will still need permits for every trip in May. We are now getting a late Spring storm, but Yosemite may not get as much snow as north of there. You could certainly string together a lot of nice backpacks. Yosemite has a web-site where you can follow the progress of plowing of Tioga Road. YARTS does not run that early but it is easy to hitch. I think Tioga will be open well before Memorial Day this year, likely mid-May.

There is public transportation into SEKI. Fly to Fresno, a bus from Visalia to Lodgepole ??- I am not sure since I have not used it. SEKI also has a web-site with good information. Although higher elevation backpacks, the southern Sierra is getting less snow and this latest storm probably will add little more. Permits are not required until May 25. The problem is that there is no public transportation from Lodgeplole (south SEKI) to Roads End in Kings Canyon. You would have to hitch-hike. Again, to get much mileage you would get into some snow. The problem is more of post-hole in snow rather than needing crampons. And creek crossings.

Good Luck!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

HermanBlume wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:02 pm
1. any suggestions on Yosemite vs. Sequoia or parts btw, which place would be best for this wander? Or which part of Yosemite?
2. Expected trail-snow elevations advice, some words on mosquitoes (still itch from Evolution Valley in July 15 yrs ago).
May 3rd... you bringing skis? I would. We just got a 4 foot snow storm in the northern part of the range.

If you're intent on backpacking, you're going to want to stay as low elevation as possible. If I was flying from the Czech Republic, only Yosemite would seem worth it to me, given the elevations you'll be limited to.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

http://www.nps.gov/yose/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

Here are the web-cams in Yosemite. These will give you an idea of this current storm (which is supposed to end Sunday).
NorCal_Hiker
Topix Novice

Post by NorCal_Hiker »

The Emigrant wilderness just north of Yosemite is another early season option. It has a lot of relatively low elevation granite, that feels higher than it is. But more snow this year than the southern sierra, so not sure which will be better. No permit quotas and you can get public transportation to Pinecrest Lake from Sonora. Challenge will be transportation to the trailheads (and opening of those roads, so I’d call the ranger station), stream crossing and mosquitos.
HermanBlume
Topix Newbie

Post by HermanBlume »

Many thanks for the suggestions. I think I’m now armed with non-dumb questions, so will call a YNP ranger station for last advice on N/S Rim as suggested above - and will check snow in Emigrant. I don’t mind a several miles’ walk down a road for trailhead - or hitching. If I’d have had room, I’d have brought my snowshoes and non-ultralight tent. But here we are.

Will be happy for any more thoughts over the next few days. Likely start date May 4.

I’ll post a trip report for future May, low-snow year hikers.