Stanislaus NF wilderness permits 2022

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Stanislaus NF wilderness permits 2022

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I thought I would share what I researched today. Unlike most other entities, Stanislaus NF will have no reservation system in 2022. There are no trail quotas (with exception of 25/day Cherry Lake into Kibbie Lake and 10/day Elenore Lake into Hetch Hetchy areas, Yosemite). One question I need to call about is whether going into Yosemite farther up Kibbie Ridge, such as Boundary Lake and south have quotas. I suspect they do not.

Permits are free, not reservable, and are obtained, "no more than 3 days from entry date". There are three district offices. Summit District 209-965-3434 or Groveland District 209-962-7825 were the two I am interested in. Then you do the permit over the phone, and they will either 1) e-mail and you print it out, OR 2) you or you pick it up in person. Their hours are 9-4 Summit District office in Pinecrest, 8:30-5 Groveland District office near Buck Meadow. Not sure if you pick up from a box outside or go inside.

According to the web site Cherry Dam gate opened April 15. No information on the road to Shingle Springs.

Crabtree TH is not open although it usually opens in April. Kennedy Meadows TH is not open (because the highway is closed). Sonora Pass is closed, generally opens in May. This last storm may have impacted opening dates. Almost all the Emigrant Wilderness trailheads are listed as "closed".
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Stanislaus NF wilderness permits 2022

Post by balzaccom »

Thanks, Daisy. We'll be up there next weekend, so will add anything that we learn.

One option for early in the season is to hike some of the forest roads that are closed to vehicles. While it is not a real wilderness experience, it can make for an enjoyable trip for a couple of days...and you won't see many people at all!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
paul
Topix Expert

Re: Stanislaus NF wilderness permits 2022

Post by paul »

Kennedy meadows is almost always the first trailhead on the HWY 108 corridor to open, since it is on 108 and the rest have dirt road access. I would be very surprised if KM is not accessible by the last Saturday in April this year, but at that point there will probably still be significant snow above 8500'.