Backpacking destinations with young kid

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking destinations with young kid

Post by Gogd »

So the folks who state they take "kids" 3+ miles with 1K+ elevation gain: are we talking about a 4YO? That is the OP's situation.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

If around Fresno, the Dinkey Wilderness loop out of Willow Meadows trailhead would be great to do. Lots of lake options. Plus minimal mileage and elevation gain. Jennie lakes wilderness might be ok along with Cora lakes in the Ansel Adams wilderness. I would skip the Kaiser wilderness though: too busy.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Gogd wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:58 pm So the folks who state they take "kids" 3+ miles with 1K+ elevation gain: are we talking about a 4YO? That is the OP's situation.
Ed
I took a 4 year old and a 2 year old to Round Top, but my wife carried the 2 year old in a carrier. A lot depends on the child, on how many breaks you take, on whether there are interesting things to do along the trail in, etc.

I've noticed my kids didn't mind the elevation as much as I did, but they disliked the mileage even more. Think more in terms of time than mileage or elevation. Patience for young kids runs out after 2-3 hours, at which point you need to camp or have a long, entertaining break.

Here are a couple more possibilities:
Skelton Lake or Barney Lake from the Lake Mary trailhead in Mammoth.
Long Lake from South Lake near Bishop.
Chicken Foot Lake from Mosquito Flat trailhead. Prime destination for first timers--hard to get reservations. Be sure to get a bit off the trail to the north side of the lake. 500 foot elevation gain and 3 miles.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

When my youngest daughter was four, she could easily manage that kind of trip--and certainly out-hiked her sister, who was three years older.

On the other hand, if the OP has to drive over to the east side just to start hiking, that's a road trip that would kill the enthusiasm of a lot of kids...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

One of the ways we did trips to Sabrina Basin, over Piute Pass to Humphreys Basin, Mono Pass, and McGee Pass was to car camp the first night. This was in the late 1980s/early 1990s, so finding a place was easier than today. A night car camping at Dimond O (on Evergreen Road and now takes reservations), Hodgdon Meadow, or the campgrounds off 120 on Poole Power Plant Road would provide a break from the drive and give a chance to begin to get acclimated. We also would often camp another night at one of the east side campgrounds before the backpacking trip.

Cora Lakes was one of the places we went out of Clover Meadow/Granite Creek, but, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I don’t know if that is still feasible due to the Creek Fire.

As Gogd and Harlan said, let them get distracted wherever and whenever on the trail. We camped earlier than planned on a lot trips simply because he was tired or liked the location. And along with the toys and stuffed animal, we did story time every night before bed. My son is a big Tolkien fan due to hearing The Hobbit and LOTR on backpacking trips.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

kpeter wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:19 pm
Gogd wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:58 pm So the folks who state they take "kids" 3+ miles with 1K+ elevation gain: are we talking about a 4YO? That is the OP's situation.
Ed
I took a 4 year old and a 2 year old to Round Top, but my wife carried the 2 year old in a carrier. A lot depends on the child, on how many breaks you take, on whether there are interesting things to do along the trail in, etc.

I've noticed my kids didn't mind the elevation as much as I did, but they disliked the mileage even more. Think more in terms of time than mileage or elevation. Patience for young kids runs out after 2-3 hours, at which point you need to camp or have a long, entertaining break.

Here are a couple more possibilities:
Skelton Lake or Barney Lake from the Lake Mary trailhead in Mammoth.
Long Lake from South Lake near Bishop.
Chicken Foot Lake from Mosquito Flat trailhead. Prime destination for first timers--hard to get reservations. Be sure to get a bit off the trail to the north side of the lake. 500 foot elevation gain and 3 miles.
I would posit the hike is too long, if one hikes far enough/long enough to observe that children "disliked the mileage even more" than the adults. For example, most 4YOs love to explore, but would see little fun in walking several miles, no mater how much exploring occurred en route. Most people need to work up to new levels of physical activities. This is true of adults as well. Half marathons, 50 mile bike rides, intermediate+ ski runs and JMT section hikes are not the venues you use to introduce first timer adults with no prior experience. Same with backpacking trips that take more than a couple hours for a young child to complete, including time spent on distractions.

I don't have experience taking little ones on Western Sierra hikes, so can only comment directly on East Side venues.

Regarding the venues kpeter listed:
  • From Lake Mary - I would hike to Arrowhead Lake (1 mi), and ask the child if they feel like walking double that distance/time to Skelton Lake (1.6 mi) and repeat the same question regarding continuing to Barney Lake (2.7 mi). I exaggerate the additional distance (or time), but it is likely closer to the child's subjective POV of the effort, than what the odometer and watch indicate. Other alternatives within the Mammoth Lakes area: Mc Lead Lake from Horseshoe Lake, and Crystal Lake, out of George Lake.
  • From South Lake - Long Lake (2.49 mi) is where I often take 1st timer adults. Most of these folks would comment they were relived we stopped there and not gone the additional 1.75 mi to Bishop Lake with packs. The lack of under 8YOs camping anywhere along the trails out of South Lake indicate most parents consider these lakes "big boy" destinations. I concur. I suggest instead trying North Lake to Grass Lake (1.25 mi, 600 foot elevation gain).
  • From Mosquito Flat - This is a great starter trailhead. Very crowded with young families, but that is a good thing in this context. Lots of children to play with and destinies to match the experience level of any camper. That said, Chicken Foot Lake is over 3mi. That may take hours for a curious 4YO to walk, if you include all of the exploration a trail that length offers. This could end up feeling like an ordeal. The child likely will lose interest in walking, compelling you to push them along, while you tire shouldering a family size pack for the duration, regardless the miles are no big deal for an adult. Chicken Foot is a good 1st time destiny for adults at an adult pace, however. We found Marsh Lake (1.2 mi) to be matched for 4YOs. You can always ask them if they wish to continue, there are more lakes further up, with short distances between each one. And they may end up dragging you all the way to Chicken Foot!
I am not saying there aren't 4-8 YOs that can hike for hours on their first backpack trip and enjoy it, but they are the exceptions, especially if dealing with young kids living in suburbia. The dozen of under 5YOs I have introduced to backpacking had no complaints. They all want to hike with me. This is like fishing. You don't want to use too big a hook (long miles and steeps), you'll just scare them away. I seen too many folks kill the joy, getting children and adult first timers in too deep, too early.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
creekfeet
Topix Regular

Post by creekfeet »

I haven’t seen the Lakes Trail in Sequoia mentioned, so I’ll throw it out there. The biggest drawback is that the Watchtower portion can be pretty scary for kids that are afraid of heights (or parents for that matter). However, it can be bypassed by taking the Hump Trail. Overall the trail is 12 miles round trip, with four beautiful lakes to enjoy. And while it’s probably a bit much with a four year old, the Tablelands beyond are pretty ideal for x-country backpacking with kids, as they aren’t steep, the swimming opportunities are tremendous, and vegetation is minimal.

My wife and I took our then seven year old daughter up this trail and into the Tablelands a few years ago, and it was a huge hit! Heather, Emerald, and Pear Lakes are overfished, but great for swimming. Aster Lake is ignored by the masses for some reason, so the fishing is pretty awesome. My daughter caught five keepers in less than an hour of fishing at this lake, and had a great time doing so.

From my experience backpacking with a kid, I’d say the biggest issue to consider is doing everything in your power to avoid mosquitoes. What seems like a pretty minimal amount of mosquitoes to an adult can be overwhelming for kids. Give serious consideration to the time of year you plan to go, and factors like avoiding marshy areas, and camping places where fires are allowed.

I’ll also add to be prepared to take on an uncomfortably large amount of weight, so long as it keeps the kiddos happy. Comfort items like stuffed animals, special blankets, etc. are a must. No matter what you choose, I’m sure your family will have an unforgettable experience!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Excellent point about mosquitoes, Creekfeet!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

I entirely agree (and mentioned) that avoidance of mosquitoes is the prime directive of backpacking with young kids. How to do that is a topic for another thread.

And while Gogd and I have differing views of what a 4 year can do and enjoy-- it is no doubt due to our experiences with different four year olds. So the second cardinal rule of backpacking with kids is to know your child. Genuinely make plans around their skills and preferences rather than your own. For example, you should certainly take your child day hiking a few times before backpacking so you can judge their ability level.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

BESON, you've got some great suggestions as well as advice in this thread. I'd also recommend the Grouse Ridge area off I-80.

One other recommendation is Salmon Lake, just south of I-80. There is a trailhead off a forest road that makes the hike in an easy 1.5 miles with minimal elevation gain/loss. (Getting there from the Loch Leven Trailhead has much more climbing.)

Trailhead: https://goo.gl/maps/n9TtNTHSNzoxDQxQ9

I took my son here when he was 4 to introduce him to backpacking. I've also introduced many friend's children to backpacking with the same trip. I view it a good spot because:

• Easy mileage
• If the trip goes south, you can get out quickly
• The lake is filled with stunted catfish — kids had a great time trying to catch them
• Lots of exposed granite for exploring
• Easy day hikes over to the Loch Leven Lakes
• Last time I visited, I was able to get a strong cell signal (Verizon)

Granted, the area can get some traffic (especially day hikers), but with small kids I like ot be very conservative with expectations and have a plan to get out quickly if needed.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.