Bear Lake to Granite Lake in the Emigrant Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
LKThompson
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Bear Lake to Granite Lake in the Emigrant Wilderness

Post by LKThompson »

Hi,

I'm new to this site, but I think this may be a great place for me to ask my question. I am in the early planning stages of an easy to moderate backpacking trip for the this summer, likely to be in early August. The route I am considering is starting at Crabtree TH to Bear Lake, spend 1 night, then cross country up to Granite Lake for 2 nights, then retrace steps back out to Crabtree. Our group will consist of 7 people; my husband, a family friend (the 3 of us have many backpacking trips under their belts), our 13 year old daughter (who we just introduced to backpacking last year with a trip to Powell & Chewing Gum) and another family of 3 (2 adults and a 13 year old girl who have never backpacked before, but are up for a easy to moderate hike).

My question is if others on this forum have done this hike, and is it something that would be appropriate for people who are new to backpacking. Would love feedback or thoughts from anyone.

Thank you!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Bear Lake to Granite Lake in the Emigrant Wilderness

Post by balzaccom »

Yes, and yes. If you know how to read a map, the route to Granite Lake is pretty straightforward. We did this hike years ago early in the season, and Granite Lake was still frozen over. But the route is simple and direct. And the good news is that if things aren't working out, Bear Lake is a relatively easy hike back out again...

Make sure your friends try out all of their gear in the backyard first...!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
MitchellK
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by MitchellK »

I agree that its pretty doable assuming that everyone involved is comfortable with the concept of going off trail as well as some easy scrambling (nothing intense on that route).

The children may enjoy hunting for the numerous cairns on that section. I know cairns are a bit controversial as a concept, but for a kid its a fun treasure hunt!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

MitchellK wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:38 pm I agree that its pretty doable assuming that everyone involved is comfortable with the concept of going off trail as well as some easy scrambling (nothing intense on that route).

The children may enjoy hunting for the numerous cairns on that section. I know cairns are a bit controversial as a concept, but for a kid its a fun treasure hunt!
As a matter of fact, I took my then-11-year-old son on that route and taught him how to follow the ducks (not cairns--that's an east coast term), and he had a blast.

(Then there was a Labor Day weekend storm and we got snow and ended up hiking out a day early with visibility about 100 feet and the whole time I was thinking this is a TV movie of the week just waiting to happen. But we got out alive, and my son, now 32, actually has fond memories of that trip.)