Bear Diversion Dam to Lou Beverly Lake end of April Water Levels

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Bear Diversion Dam to Lou Beverly Lake end of April Water Levels

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hello,
I am planning to do a long trip from Bear Diversion Dam to either Lou Beverly Lake or Vee Lake April 24th. I had planned it for the first week of August last year, but the smoke, heat and fires derailed my plans. SIGH.
Any idea of what the creek crossing will be like? I have read that the Bear Creek crossings can be a major problem during spring thaw, but do not know exactly where those stories happen. I am fine crossing anything that is not running really fast and below my knees. If I can see the bottom, I am happy to cross.
Also, any idea what the mosquitos will be like?
Thanks!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Bear Diversion Dam to Lou Beverly Lake end of April Water Levels

Post by balzaccom »

Is the Kaiser Pass road open? Sierra National Forest days it won't open until Memorial Day Weekend...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

@balzaccom The map programs are showing that I take Huntington Lake Road to Edison Lake Road and that it is open now. I will check further, but are you sure that these roads will be closed?
Any idea of the water levels?
Thanks
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Not sure what is your data source, but the FS snowpack map shows 2-3 feet of snow above Huntington Lake. Easy to resolve- just call Sierra NF. I found them very helpful whenever I have called.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Likewise call about the stream flows. Bear Creek is monitored. I am hedging the stream will be a problem. I've been there in June and had a tough time crossing. Our trip occurred during a high snow year, however, but you are going in six weeks earlier. I cannot remember where the problems occur but know we dealt with tough crossing by the time we reached a camp at the junction of the east and west forks of Bear Creek. Your luck may hinge on the vigor of the last storm of the season, typically occurring around the second or third week of April.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

I spoke with the Sierra ranger and he said that the roads are closed until after Memorial Day. He also said that the problems PCT Folks have is the East fork. However, looking at the map, the PCT doesn’t cross the east fork, so he probably was not looking at a map when he said it and didn’t recollect correctly.
@Gogd , thank you for sharing your experience. If the smoke is not awful, maybe I can get in in late Sept. (I do not even dare to dream of summer.)
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Love the Sierra wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:21 pm I spoke with the Sierra ranger and he said that the roads are closed until after Memorial Day. He also said that the problems PCT Folks have is the East fork. However, looking at the map, the PCT doesn’t cross the east fork, so he probably was not looking at a map when he said it and didn’t recollect correctly.
@Gogd , thank you for sharing your experience. If the smoke is not awful, maybe I can get in in late Sept. (I do not even dare to dream of summer.)
@Love the Sierra
But the PCT does cross Bear Creek, just below the confluence of the east and west forks - that is where I was thinking the problem crossing occurs.
I like soloing with friends.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

PCT journals and blogs have had good stream crossing information. Last year 5/28 I ran into a PCT hiker at the Jack Main Canyon trail junction who said that none of the stream crossings were bad last year although he may have crossed Bear Creek before peak flow. The way things are going now I suspect that peak flow will be over by the time the road opens.