Anyone know if this N. Milestone Basin pass is a GO?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Anyone know if this N. Milestone Basin pass is a GO?

Post by michaelzim »

When I first looked at Google Earth for this proposed "gap/pass" I must have done something wrong, or the pic has updated. Looking at it now in 3D Tilt mode the south side does indeed look like a scree fest. North side looks more tractable as @sparky said.
Here are a couple of takes on it from the south side - though much better to see the whole landscape in Google Earth itself:
The Gap - 1.JPG
The Gap - 2.JPG

I'm not good at discerning reality from these pics or this method as have near zero experience with it. However, if using the principle I learned from Harlen of "Rocks up and sand down!" then the climb would be better from the north with a 'scree ski' down the south slope. That does not mesh with my potential clockwise loop plan to Milestone Basin, so if this "Gap" sojourn pans out it will be after real time perusal from ground level...and very possibly choosing the suggested hike around the ridge instead.
It's kind of fun doing the research though and I look forward to seeing what it actually looks like.

Thanks again for all the help on this. And good to know about the new slope shading stuff too! ~ Michaelzim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.