Restoration of the Old Tioga Road trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
potatopants
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Restoration of the Old Tioga Road trail

Post by potatopants »

I was looking at the Yosemite Conservancy's volunteer work week projects for 2022 and noticed three weeks dedicated to restoring the trail that was once the Old Tioga Road. I poked around to learn more about it, and Ididn't realize what a storied past was involved! http://npshistory.com/publications/yose ... istory.pdf

The trail runs pretty close to Tioga Road and I was curious to hear opinions about the value of restoring this particular trail. Any thoughts?
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Restoration of the Old Tioga Road trail

Post by Gogd »

So does the proposed trail begin at McSwain Meadows, and end at Yosemite Creek Campground?
Ed
I like soloing with friends.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Of the old original Tioga Road, some pieces were made into the current Tioga Road. Some pieces are partially paved and used for the Yosemite Creek Campground road. Some pieces were left as trails, and are barely discernable now. I've hiked some of those trail pieces. That can be very interesting if you have the basic history in your head.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Thanks for sharing that! super interesting! Bobby you can still find some old parts of the road hiding near the meadows and near the lodge.