Blue Canyon Trail: recent info?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
agfhst
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Blue Canyon Trail: recent info?

Post by agfhst »

I'm thinking about a trip into Blue Canyon this summer via the trail that heads east southeast from Crown Valley through Deer Meadow and then passes between Kettle Dome and Tehipite Dome. Last August, Snowfire reported that downed wood had been cleared on the Sierra NF part of the trail in July 2020.

Anyone hiked this trail recently who could report on conditions, particularly on the three mile or so stretch from the Kings Canyon NP boundary east to Blue Canyon Creek? I'm hoping this route isn't as bad as the Coyote Pass route michaelzim described in his trip report.

Thanks in advance for any information-
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Blue Canyon Trail: recent info?

Post by Harlen »

Agfhst, I think that route is a great goal, and I hope it goes well for you. I have never been in the lower section of the Middle Fork, but I have heard stories highlighting massive elevation loss and gain; minimal water sources: Rattlesnakes, and Heat! I would love to experience all of that one day, and I hope your ambitious trip goes really well. Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

I went that way years ago early season and I'll never forget the water flooding the trail and pouring off from every surface as I approached Blue Canyon basin. Feels like a long drought ago... Fantastic area to play in. Last time I went in there was from the higher route, over Mantle Pass, and the early part was an enjoyable mess of fallen trees and unmaintained 'trail'. If as Snowfire reported they culled the trees last year than you should definitely go for it. And report back.
agfhst
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by agfhst »

Thanks, Ian and thegib. The loop I'm thinking about would go east on the Blue Canyon Trail and then back west over Mantle Pass, so maybe the reverse of your trip, thegib? Having done a little more research, if the Sierra NF side of the Blue Canyon Trail is clear, then the worst part of will probably be the mile or so to the east of the NF/NP boundary. That part of the trail runs through the eastern part of the 2008 Tehipite Fire burn area -- so lots of deadfall, as you saw.

-Andy
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

I thoroughly enjoyed hunting out the 'trail' under the deadfall. (Helps that it's simple, you just hover around 8000') It's all in the mindset. Might help to be solo.