Trip report-Upper Kern and Pickett Lake - Jul/Aug 2021

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip report-Upper Kern and Pickett Lake - Jul/Aug 2021

Post by wsp_scott »

This trip happened because of all the awesome trip reports on HST. Thanks to everyone who has shared information in the past so that planning a trip like this is possible.

7/28 - 8/5/21 (8 nights)
Shepherd Pass Stock Trailhead (Inyo NF)
Total distance ~70 miles and 20,000' elevation

Day 0: Fly to Vegas and then drive to Onion Valley

Day 1: Stock Trailhead to Anvil Camp
(CalTopo miles) - distance: 9.08mi range: 5681' to 10245'gross: +5541' -1026'

Day 2: Anvil Camp to Wright Creek on JMT
- distance: 8.55mi range: 10204' to 12056'gross: +2532' -1837'

Day 3: Wright Creek to Gallats Lake
- distance: 10.32mi range: 8074' to 10902'gross: +2489' -3340'

Day 4: Gallats Lake to Pickett Lake (plus a little exploring)
- distance: 2.38mi range: 9700' to 10714'gross: +1132' -554'

Day 5: day hike to Kaweah Basin
-distance: 4.79mi range: 10599' to 10910'gross: +1111' -1095'

Day 6: Pickett Lake to Upper Kern
- distance: 9.16mi range: 8074' to 10682'gross: +3057' -3016'

Day 7: Shift campsite and day hike in Thunder Basin
- distance: 4.36mi range: 10669' to 11587'gross: +1198' -865'

Day 8: Upper Kern to Anvil Camp
- distance: 11.8mi range: 10216' to 12056'gross: +2727' -3499'

Day 9: Anvil Camp to trailhead and then Vegas
- distance: 9.09mi range: 5679' to 10245'gross: +1028' -5568'

Death Valley Cloud

There are a lot more photos and details at my blog (no ads) if you are interested - https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/20 ... -2021.html
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip report-Upper Kern and Pickett Lake - Jul/Aug 2021

Post by gary c. »

What a great trip through some awesome country. Your pictures are beautiful. Thanks for posting.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for posting. Amazing photos.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

Read your report on blog. Great photos and tempting terrain. Thanks! M.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Curious as to why you chose Shepherd Pass TH for this loop? Did permit issues enter into the decision? I ask because last year I had to take second and third choice trailheads due to unavailable permits.

I was also out in that spat of unsettled weather and had to change my route a bit. Good that you were able to carry through with your plans. But I can sympathize with the weather ruining views that are anticipated while trip planning. It looks like what you call "Pickett Lake" is the lowest lake on the Pickett Creek drainage. From Gallots Lake did you go into the Picket Creek drainage by the pass west of Picket Guard Peak or traverse the slope from the Kern Keweah? Too bad you did not have another day to stay in Keweah Basin. I have been there three times now and do not regret any minute spent in the basin - still wish I had more time.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:55 pm Curious as to why you chose Shepherd Pass TH for this loop? Did permit issues enter into the decision? I ask because last year I had to take second and third choice trailheads due to unavailable permits.

I was also out in that spat of unsettled weather and had to change my route a bit. Good that you were able to carry through with your plans. But I can sympathize with the weather ruining views that are anticipated while trip planning. It looks like what you call "Pickett Lake" is the lowest lake on the Pickett Creek drainage. From Gallots Lake did you go into the Picket Creek drainage by the pass west of Picket Guard Peak or traverse the slope from the Kern Keweah? Too bad you did not have another day to stay in Keweah Basin. I have been there three times now and do not regret any minute spent in the basin - still wish I had more time.
Permit availability made my choice for me as far as Shepherd Pass, but I was also curious about Shepherd and ready for something new. Last year I went over Cottonwood Pass with the intention of making it to Picket/Kawaeh, but was not physically ready to do those miles/elevation. I've been over Kearsarge and then Forester before. In the end, I thought Shepherd Pass was great except for the last stretch getting over the pass. It was hot and dry, but an early start made it relatively easy, just had to keep moving.

Yes, I mean the lowest lake on Pickett Creek. I went up from the Kern-Kawaeh and I agree, I'd love to spend more time in Kawaeh Basin, it is an amazing space. But, I also wanted a little more time in the Upper Kern after briefly seeing a little of it a couple years ago.

Everyone else, I'm glad you liked the photos, the sky was very photogenic for this trip.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Great trip! We admire so many of your photographs, but especially your black and whites, and the night shots! Read the whole report on your blog, and appreciated the details. I have to ask, did you see all the marmots in the world in the Shepherd Pass (west side) and Wrights Creek basins? The summer I was there it was hard to keep count of them all. Approximately 50 for the 2 basins!!
Congratulations on reaching the promised land of the upper Kern and Kaweah Basins.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Awesome photos! It is so difficult to capture the beauty of that area, but you've done it justice!

I think Shepherd gets a bad rap, because lots do it when the temps are up. It is a start early morning or evening pass. Good planning.

Thanks for TR.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Even if you start at the stoke of midnight you are going to spend time hiking in the heat, unless it is a winter trip. Well in my case anyway. I like to get over the crest, to the interior on my first day. That is a very tall order if the route is Shepard. Shepard gets its rep because it starts low and has binder loads of elevation change to take on in a single day of hiking, particularly if it is the first day of a hike.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
SenorNeiltz
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by SenorNeiltz »

Wow, just really starting to get back into backpacking since my Scout/teenage years. This looks like a dream trip. I've been sticking to trails. Maybe in a year or two I'll venture off.