Getting from Roads End to Fresno

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Getting from Roads End to Fresno

Post by stevet »

I am working on travel logistics for a summer backpacking trip and want to understand my options to get from Roads End to Fresno. Sure, I can hitchhike, but wondering if there are shuttles, taxi service, or shuttle services available. thanks, Steve
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: Getting from Roads End to Fresno

Post by bobby49 »

This probably does not answer your question, but it may be easier to get out to the east side. From the Owens Valley, there is public transportation all the way around to Bakersfield, Visalia, and Fresno.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

You would have to hitch a ride to Fresno. As an alternative, you could hitch a ride to Giant Forest in Sequoia National Park. Once in Giant Forest, you can use the Sequoia Shuttle to get to Visalia. Their website indicates the shuttle is running this year. It requires an advance reservation.

https://www.sequoiashuttle.com/
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Agree, east side is easier. Or I can hitch (which might also be easier from the east side). I am thinking about Skurka’s high basin route, or close to that. I can walk back to Lodgepole to complete a loop. Had Sequoia shuttle in mind to get to the trail head in the first place.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

I would hitch or plan something, hitching would be the easiest. Lots of cars and people.
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted

Post by JayOtheMountains »

I've encountered hired shuttles in MK coming from Fresno. I'm sure you could plan and hire a shuttle to meet you in advance, or arrange to call when you reach the trailhead. Then explore around for 2 hours until the shuttle arrives. There's even a payphone at the trailhead parking lot (no cell service there) to call. You don't need to get to Giant Forest to grab the bus. You can get on at Foothills Visitor Center or from the Comfort Inn in Three Rivers. Saves you from hitching up to the forest. You should be able to nab a hitch pretty easy. MK is busy and there will always be someone heading out. Best spot to grab a hitch is at the ranger station or next to the campground entrance; or you could campus both trailhead parking areas... YMMV. Another option would be to call an inquire with the folks at the Silver City Resort about what they may be able to recommend or provide.

Alternatively... you could also alter your trip to exit the wilderness on the Middle Fork trail (goes through the Redwood Meadow Grove). Then you'd be in a position to either hitch up to Lodgepole to get the bus to the Giant Forest visitor center and a bus option, or down to the Foothills Visitor Center. https://www.sequoiashuttle.com/

I've driven folks down before and either dropped them at Foothills; or at the Comfort Inn.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Looks like the options, west side are find a driver by posting an ad, or hitch in which case probably want to add a day to account for the lack of predictability, or make a full loop of the hike and end in Sequoia so I can shuttle to/from Visalia and bus it to Fresno.

East side I can bus and then hitch or hire a trailhead shuttle shuttle from and back to Reno.

Easiest, either side is rent a car and let it sit at the trailhead. Interestingly, pricing that option, on the east side it costs about the same as hiring shuttles and adding extra nights lodging needed to manage around the uncertainty/extra handoffs.

Thanks all for the ideas. Coming in from the east coast nothing is simple. I either spend money or time or some of each getting to the trailhead and then back home. Is this he money worth a couple extra days on the trail…checking the bank account…