Help with summer route plan - Courtright/Florence loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Help with summer route plan - Courtright/Florence loop

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have done Lucifer's Saddle (two passes) both directions. The route finding can be a bit tricky and not obvious. But if you hit it right it is pretty easy.

The Big Shot side is steep and cliffy. I did better going up, being able to see the cliffs. Down by Big Shot Lake you also have to avoid shrubs. Coming down last year, I "cliffed out" a few times and was surprised at the amount of talus- I think when I went up years ago, it was covered with snow. You can avoid a lot of talus, if you are willing to get out on steep slabs. I also overshot the top and had to come back down a bit. I have never hit it perfectly, but good enough.

Never done Hutton Col so cannot compare.
2979_Lucifers Pass_labeled.jpg
not saying my route was the best but it worked. I went right through the big clump of trees - it is very steep and loose so easier if you stay in the timber.

2982_Drop to Big Shot_edited-1.jpg
The talus is to the left hidden by the tree branch. I came down the talus. The slabs would be easier to find a route going up.

This is a photo of the drop to Big Shot Lake (from 2013). I walked slabs (left of the drainage) veering right and aiming for the outlet of the lake.
IMG_5854_BigShot_Lk_edited-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

From those shots of Hutton and Big Shot, the latter looks much friendlier to me. But the best part of going solo is hearing no complaints about the route!
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

Slightly off subject but in the area: The Dusy-Ehrshim jeep trail goes from Courtright to above Florence Lake. I had started at Courtright and hiked a long loop years ago and had missed the ferry at Florence on the way back so I hiked around the Lake and up the West side to a small lake on the jeep trail above Florence. I then hiked all the way back to Courtright on the jeep trail which wasn't too terrible for foot traffic but judging by the broken bits and oil stains on prominent rocks, was a bit worse for 4WD vehicles...

It was a long, dusty and warm slog on the jeep trail and after 10+ days out, I was really wishing for a cold beer. And...as I walked around the next bend, I stumbled past a dust filled pothole and saw the shape of a beer can! I picked up a dusty, UNOPENED, undamaged can of Bud with a born-on date of around a month before. What are the chances? Dusted it off, perfectly good, I threw it in the pack and made camp later where I tossed it in a stream and let it cool off. I then had one of the best beers of my life (and I am not a Bud fan). If only I had used my one wish to wish for a million dollars rather than a beer... Sigh.

At any rate, I pushed hard to get back to Courtright following the jeep trail and if there was a trail junction with the road, I missed it. I followed the jeep trail and ended on top of Chicken Rock right where the vehicles climb up the face. I didn't see an easy way down so I slid/walked down the face of Chicken Rock and thanked God for the good lugs on my Danners. Probably one of the scariest things I have ever done with a pack and nothing to grab onto. Don't do as I did!!! Made it back to the car without further incident... Good luck with your adventure, Hell-For-Sure Pass, Goddard Canyon, Evolution Valley and Muir pass are all beautiful places if you do get there.