Would love help deciding where to hike this July

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Would love help deciding where to hike this July

Post by kylekuzma »

Hope everyone is having a great winter. I'm applying to permits now so wanted to get some feedback on a few hikes I'm considering. I have 4 nights/5 days and can comfortably hike 10-15 trailed miles in a day or up to 9 if there's x-country in there (Roads End to Sphinx Lakes in a day is the end of my comfort zone). Comfortable with off-trail hiking up to Class 3. Loooove basins and the Sierra-at-large between 10,000 and ~11,250ft like Darwin Bench and Brewer Basin (love the stark environments above 11500 ft and 12000ft just a bit less). I'm considering the following:

1) Tableands, Horn Col, Big Bird, Lake 11200 loop. In and out of Wolverton

2) Red Mountain Basin, Hell For Sure, and Goddard Canyon (day trip). In and out of Courtright

3) Bear Lakes Basin. In and out of Pine Creek

4) Whatever you would like to recommend!!!

Thank you all in advance.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Would love help deciding where to hike this July

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Can you list where you have already gone so we can suggest routes you have not done yet?
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted

Post by kylekuzma »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:16 pm Can you list where you have already gone so we can suggest routes you have not done yet?
Hey WD, seen a lot of SEKI and a good amount of Yosemite south of the 120. Mt Brewer loop, Kings-Kern Divide (north and south of it), Kaweah Basin, Middle Fork of the Kings/Palisades Creek, Upper Basin and that whole part of the JMT. Explored the Evolution Valley region but didnt get to the Ionian Basin, Mt Goddard or Goddard Canyon (base camped in the Darwin Bench and day hiked for 2 days). In Tahoe i did the southwestern portion of the TRT.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Of the three you listed I would choose Bear Basin. It would fit within your 5 days. If you are comfortable with moderate off-trail, I would do a loop through Granite Park, Dancing Bear Pass, Feather Pass (there are others) to Merriam Lake, then over to Royce if you have snow skills and equipment, otherwise down to French Canyon. You can also get to Royce Lakes from Pine Creek Pass.

Red Basin is not as scenic, in my opinion. What I do not like about Courtright is that it is a long boring day if not more to get into the good stuff. Another day to get out with a lot of repeat miles, leaving 3 days in the basin. Dropping down over Hell for Sure Pass would take more time, but just going up to the top for the view would be worthwhile. A nice loop is Devils Punchbowl/Little and Big Shot- then to Blackrock and Horseshoe (great camping out on the penninsula) and Hell for Sure peek over the pass. When I go in Courtright I try to do a longer trip that also includes Bench Valley and Blackcap Basin.

Tablelands-Big Bird is a good trip for July. I have done it 4th July week and there was still quite a bit of snow. Horn Col was a steep cornice, so I had to slither down between rock and snow in a gully. Not sure that would be so this year if things are dry as they are becoming. Tablelands are not "big peak" scenery, but pretty. Getting up to Tablelands from Big Bird is a bit tricky, steep and slabby.

Ionian and Goddard really require more time than you have. Also, better later in the season.

You cannot beat the Minarets for spectacular scenery for a short trip, but there will be quite a few people. You can get away from crowds. You may want to read my trip report I did last summer. There are several trailheads/options for permits.

The Big McGee and upper Convict lakes are good early season. You would need to figure out how to get back to your car, but a loop up McGee Cr and back Convict Creek is nice. Or loop the other direction. Corridor Pass would likely still have snow on the north side, but microspikes should suffice.

If you could get a permit (very difficult for Bishop Pass), Dusy Basin and over to Barrett Lakes (Knapsack Pass and Thunderbolt Pass) is great and perfect for a shorter trip. On the way in or out do the loop through Rawau and Chocolate Lakes. Go to the off-trail lakes below Isosceles and
Columbine Peaks. If early July, you may have snow on the passes.

Getting a permit may determine where you go! But you have a lot to choose from.
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted

Post by kylekuzma »

@Wandering Daisy you are a gem. Thank you so much
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Miter Basin->CrabTree Pass->Crabtree basin is one of my favorite hikes. Scenery is absolutely incredible. With 5 days you could incldes whitney if you wanted to.

You can in and out, you can loop it, or you could do a shuttle