Yet another thread on the Yosemite Decimal System & rating backpacking passes

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yet another thread on the Yosemite Decimal System & rating backpacking passes

Post by erutan »

I've read viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10224, viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11913, and viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8479 they're all many years old, so in instead of necroing an old thread I figure I'd just start a new one. Also for consideration, an internet archive page of the old sierrabackpacker pass listing: https://web.archive.org/web/20170524174 ... es-new.htm

Feel free to disagree, point out things I've missed, etc.

tl;dr:

YDS is too ingrained to replace, and it has objective value. Borrowing some modifiers from climbers for Class 5 and applying them to the lower levels can help. 2X is sketchier than 3- G, etc for describing sections of a route.

At the end of the day anything complicated needs some narrative, so trying to come up with some perfect grading system seems impossible.

Some general thoughts of mine on the issue:
  • Trying to replace the YDS seems somewhat futile, it's commonly used and (somewhat) well understood. Taking existing climbing ratings and completely changing their context, or making up a new alphanumeric system will add more complexity than reduce.
  • That said YDS system isn't designed for backpacking, as Class 2 is too broad, and Class 4+ is focused on climbing.
  • The YDS at least tries to be objective (if wiggly) - rating things solely on "feel" doesn't seem like a good approach to me.
  • Multiple people find utility in the distinction between class 2 and 3 as shown in the XC passes entries for Dumbbell & Valor etc. Some don't, but there's a sizeable group of people that draw a hard line on simple "climbing".
  • Using the YDS system with Class 5 climbing modifiers applied to Class 2/3 seems reasonable to get some more granularity.
  • Any pass worth spending a lot of time on is bound to have different sections where the YDS system + modifiers is useful, vs trying to have one holistic rating.
  • Trying to cover every use case with a modifier seems impossible - ok so we split Class 2 into loose and stable. I really enjoy dropping over steep loose if it's all deep sand - but if it's a chute of large talus mixed in with loose sand, or ball bearings on top of rocks I don't. Wobbly talus can be fine, talus/scree that self-brakes is fine, talus that can slide for 30ft or more isn't fine. Do we want to decipher 2-2ST30+MSPG-13 or something? :p
  • Sticking with climbing conventions and listing a pass solely by the most complex section doesn't seem right. If a pass is 99.9% Class 2 like Valor Pass it's nice to know there's a short Class 3 bit at the top, but it's a mixed Class 2/3 pass IMO.
  • Slope angle shading overlays on maps (CalTopo, Gaia, etc) make it trivial to find a general angle of a pass or col.
  • Good narrative descriptions & photos (or notated maps) will always be necessary for anything of complexity anyways!
YDS refresher:

According to Secor (he goes into more detail, this is his initial brief introduction, it's well worth owning your own copy, the third edition is the latest):
Class 1 is walking.
Class 2 is defined here as difficult cross-country travel. In the High Sierra this is usually talus hopping, which requires the occasional use of hands for balance.
Class 3 is where the climbing begins. Hands and feet are used not just for balance, but to hang onto the rock. Steep or large talus can be rated as class 3.
Class 4 is on steep rock, with smaller holds, and a lot of exposure.
Class 5 is steep and difficult rock climbing, involving the use of protection placed between the leader and the belayer. I differentiate class 4 from class 5 by the hand- and footholds. Class 5 requires obscure holds[...]
Realistically we're only concerned with 1-4 with a pack on.

Another way of differentiating between classes (which is intuitive if overly simple and lacking in nuance) is the points of contact system, counting rope as a point of contact (I didn't come up with it and don't think it's better than Secor, but it's simple).

C1 = feet
C2 = feet + 1 hand [or trekking poles extended/contracted, used on steep or loose terrain]
C3 = feet + 2 hands
C4 = feet + 2 hands + rope (recommended)
C5 = feet + 2 hands + rope + elaborate means of protection

Overcoming flaws in the YDS:

Exposure

I personally borrow the X modifier from climbing and apply it to Class 2-3. This would be an example of what I'd call 2X on Ursula Pass (a bit warped due to 13mm lens): download/file.php?id=34462&mode=view

It's not standard, but it's fairly easy to understand and makes for more sense than "everything class 4 is exposed".

Adapting the climbing exposure/danger rating system on top of YDS makes sense to me (vs replacing it) though obviously "protection" isn't really relevant and G and PG would need to be modified.

G = no real risk. could sprain an ankle but that can happen in the parking lot.
PG = loose or rough terrain where you might get banged up, but unlikely any more than that.
R = unchanged, risk of serious injury if you fall
X = unchanged, risk of death if you fall

The wide range of Class 2 terrain

I will sometimes add a + or - symbol based on if I feel something is trivial or advanced for it's class (again borrowed from climbing). A super chonky short bit of class 3 (getting over the easy chockstone near the top of the Blackcap side of Finger Col) probably won't deter anyone that's gotten that far, but it isn't class 2... but the Class 2 there is pretty steep and can get exposed and some routefinding sensibility is key. I'd put it at 2+ with a few short moves of 3- but usually do that more in casual conversation vs the top of a write up where I just explain things in narrative form. While the YDS is pretty objective, these are obviously subjective, but are still useful.

I'll usually just break this into words as it's more descriptive anyways.

Vernon Pass - CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Advanced class 2. We added in some optional easy class 3 (slab vs semi-stable talus).

North Col - CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2, with some stable ledgey Class 3 the top that one can mostly avoid.

I'm not sure just saying the south side of Junction Pass is loose would paint the picture, and my subjective experience was far different from my partner's - which I tried to capture in my writeup of the pass. If there's ambiguity of interpretation I'll try and look at things from different possible perspectives.

A moderately steep slope that had some rocks but was fairly stable was be a 2-. I usually say easy class 2.

Talus that's nicely sized for moving and is stable to wobbly would be 2. I just say class 2.

Unstable talus on a slope, or a loose slope with talus mixed in, etc would be 2+. I'll usually say advanced class 2.

Breakpoints / ambiguity between Classes

1 and 2

I personally don't agree that all trail is class 1 and all off-trail is class 2, and that seems to be the consensus. There are plenty of flat slabs, gentle walks, and open spaces that don't have a trail but are essentially just "walking". Talus, scree, etc pose obvious "you aren't just walking yet" terrain. I'd also include density of underbrush and other obstacles - lots of deadfall on a steep traverse would count for me. I do actually have a little theodolite app that measures slope and can lay it over a photo, but I view it as a novelty vs a hard "oh this is over 30deg so it's class 2". Differences of opinion at this level are likely to be somewhat trivial.

A lot of abandoned trails fall into Class 2 at times as they get overgrown, covered by a slide, etc.

2 and 3

In general I find it useful, as 2 and 3 are pretty objective, though they can vary for people and it's useful to get a feel if one is off course (huh this was supposed to be Class 2, I must have taken a wrong turn). Long sections of Class 2 with an occasional move or two of Class 3 can blur, but the "hand for balance" vs "hands to hang onto the rock" via Secor is a great way of looking at it IMO. If you're pulling yourself up with both hands it's Class 3, even if it's a simple single move mantling on top of something.

Someone slid into my DM's a while back with questions on the Class 3 bit of Valor Pass. For the route we did there were two bits that would fall under that category.

The first I said was somewhat ambiguous Class 2/3 and could vary based on someone's experience, body size, etc. I'd say this is technically Class 3, but someone experienced just going up it might just think of it as Class 2. I don't think there's a major issue if stuff like this is confused, when in doubt adding an easy/advanced +/- modifier

download/file.php?id=35134&mode=view

The second bit is just solid Class 3. We didn't find it challenging with packs on, but it's not something that anyone could mistake for Class 2!

download/file.php?id=36399&mode=view

Class 4

This definition really does need to be adjusted for backpackers by dropping exposure. There are times where I'm doing something that's more difficult than Class 3, but I'm not exposed. I've carried my pack up some 10-20ft bits of Class 4, gone up a chimney, done an akwward wiggle off a ledge etc. That said sustained Class 4 generally isn't done with a pack unless someone is a proper climber.

I tend to ignore the exposure side of this and just say "there's an unexposed xft section of Class 4". There's a drop from Mattie Lake into the area below Glen Aulin that I've done twice that has a short unexposed set of Class 4 moves off of a ledge - I don't find it worth re-routing into a bunch of bushes to avoid, but that's how I'd describe it to someone as it's not just Class 3.

Impact of Trekking Poles

IMO poles count as a point on contact on steep terrain, similar to using a hand for balance if they're nearly often load bearing or used to keep balance when a foot slips out etc. An indicator for me that I'm probably not on Class 1 terrain anymore is if I'm going up something at -10cm of my normal, or down at +15-20cm. There's a lot of Class 2 I don't use my hands to steady myself on because I have poles, but I would have at points if I almost certainly would have at one point or another.

Obviously using poles on true Class 1 (walking to Soda Springs in Tuolumne) doesn't magically turn it into Class 2 (similar to how straightforward Class 2 with a drop on one side shouldn't be considered Class 4 because it's exposed).

Threading the Needle vs CYOA

A lot of passes are class 2/3 and as long as you don't cliff out in a spectacular self-imposed terrible judgement call your experience won't be too much different from anyone else's. Gain the ridge and drop is really enough for some passes!

Others like Finger Col, Cirque, etc have a section or two where there's a meaningful navigation choice that bumps you up a class or two - I try to emphasize those when writing about a pass - vs sharing "this was my experience, but you don't need to try and follow in my footsteps". If someone will end up on Class 4 vs Class 2 that's something vs emphasizing vs slightly varying difficulties of Class 2/3 with no real consequence. I prefer chunky 3 over loose 2, others feel otherwise, etc.
Last edited by erutan on Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Yet another thread on the Yosemite Decimal System & rating backpacking passes

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Secor's guide, and the Yosemite rating system is a CLIMBER's system. If you have climbed class 5 and 4 and know what these feel like, then you can notch down to class 2 or 1. The average backpacker who has not climbed, has more difficulty with understanding "class 2". Also, climbers base camp and climb with a smaller pack. Class 2 passes in Secor's guide are primarily rated for climbing (with small pack and climbing gear). Backpacking is another story. If it is class 2 for climbers, it is definitely class 2 or more for backpackers! Even a relatively easy friction slab (say like some at Tuolumene Meadows as route down-climbs) can be horrifying for backpackers without climbing experience or proper soles on their shoes. There are climbing techniques involved. There is also a comfort level with exposure that you get when a climber, that a backpacker does not have.

Add snow, rain, wind and other environmental factors and the "rating" goes out the window. Having backpacked a lot of Sierra passes, I find it more helpful if someone says Pass X (one I have not done) is like Pass Y (one that I have done). And a picture is worth 100 words. Topo maps, although good for overall steepness, do not have the detail for short cliffy terrain. Google Earth can be deceiving.

Regardless of "rating" it is subjective and personal. Example. I believe Longly Pass is rated class 1. I am short. I had to take off my pack and lower it over one small cliff. I often have to lift my pack up onto a ledge and then climb up. My pack simply is too heavy for my weight to climb up if I have to pull myself up or put a foot at eye level (well not something one does after 70 years old anyway). Then again, I know how to chimney climb, under-cling, and a few other learned climbing moves that I use a lot. If you do not have those skills, you will find what may be "easy" for me as difficult for you. My most hated pass on the SHR, was Class 2 Sky Pilot Pass. It is a fall-you-could-die steep, hard as rock dirt slope of ball bearing grains. Several supposedly more difficult passes did not bother me at all.

Class 2 is just too broad of a class to be meaningful for the backpacker. And micro-route finding is the key to finding the easiest route over any passes. Most have several choices and no distinct markers/cairns.

I really like our HST "Mountain Passes" write-ups. I think we have the best that is out there. Thanks for everyone who contributes.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Yet another thread on the Yosemite Decimal System & rating backpacking passes

Post by c9h13no3 »

The YDS classes describe the movements required to pass over rock. I think they're sufficient at doing that. That is all they're meant to do.

Obviously other factors matter. Looseness, fall risk, bushwhacking, route-finding, blah blah are often much more important. I don't think we need a new rating system. Current English adjectives are sufficient.

Climbers whine about similar things. A 5.7 climb with a strange style that is loose, hard to protect, with devious route finding is probably harder than a 5.9 sport route.
Last edited by c9h13no3 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

3 feet at a time. It is how i see the world. Of course, the 20' hole between the rock makes you think a bit, but then you make a decision. It's worked for 45 years for me.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

The second half of my extremely short tl;dr is that “At the end of the day anything complicated needs some narrative, so trying to come up with some perfect grading system seems impossible.” That is reinforced a few times in my post, as is subjective experience of things by different people in my borderline Class 2/3 example. :)

My general thoughts up at the top include the fact that YDS isn’t intended for backpacking, but at the end of the day it’s still a useful indicator for tricker sections. The Class 2 passes for the most part are simpler than the Class 3 passes, yet harder than Class 1 passes - for those with consequential looseness that comes out in the narrative (and was something I was concerned with for my June Lake > Happy Isle trip last summer). Exposure/risk ratings are pretty easy to poach from C5 with the movie suffixes.

Perhaps some new modifier that refers just to stability / traction could be useful?

Stable, Loose, & Consequentially Loose are distinctions I make in my XC pass entries here. 2- G S vs 2+ R CL might be a useful distinction without getting into too much unnecessary granularity. Just loose and stable don’t mean much IMO, though consequential is subjective.

The vast majority of passes I’ve done I successfully completed with just reading map and mountain, or reading Secor’s often brief descriptions along with the two previous ones. The XC Passes subforum here I’ve found valuable when researching some of the more problematic ones when trip planning, so it’s where I’ve been focusing my contributions.

I don't agree that any attempt at a rating system is meaningless because conditions can change and everyone is different, nor in my experience that someone is incapable of distinguishing between Class 1 & 2 unless they're a Class 5 climber.

Adding more modifiers onto YDS complicates things, but a lot of XC passes are mountaineering (or at least mountaineering-lite) and deserve a similar amount of respect that Class 5 does.
Last edited by erutan on Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I generally class passes into three categories:

1. Yep. My wife and I will do that.
2. I'll give that a shot, but my wife will watch, if she's along.
3. Nope.

Works for me.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Words and detailed descriptions are great, but for guidebook writers, you need a short-hand method to designate a difficulty with a few letters or numbers. Trails even have different difficulties. As some of you know, I wrote a guidebook to off-trail routes in the Wind Rivers. Most of the routes are within the class 1-2 broad range. To be more specific I simply made up a rating system which is assigned to each short segment of a route.

"A" trails are officially maintained by regular trail crew maintenance, "B" trails are on the USGS map but no longer maintained except what is done by outfitters, "C" trails are use-trails which also includes some very well-established game trails.

Off-trail ratings are based on movie rating terms (this is like the sub-ratings that are put on sport climbs). "G" is travel suitable for the general off-trail traveler or novice, where travel is easy, but you need navigation skills. "PG" is tounge-in-cheek "parental guidance". This includes stable talus, bushwhacking, tricky micro-route finding. It can be quite gnarly but safe. You are not likely to die or get hurt and do not need very specialized skills. "R" is "restricted" to those with specific skills. This includes steep snow, crevassed glaciers, general mountaineering terrain. "X" is very risky terrain. I only have one or two routes that include any of this and they are very boldly identified as more advanced mountaineering routes where ice axe, rope, and other equipment is needed. These include unstable talus, moraines.

All is explained in detail in the introduction, with photos showing typical examples. Getting a reader to actually read the introduction is a more difficult task! One fellow wrote he thought G-PG-R-X rating was stupid. Not many comments in general. The ratings are used in tables and charts that compare routes along with other information such as total miles, estimated days, elevation gain. Each route has a "travel plan" where I again use the ratings.

They are as much a tool for me as well as a rating system for the reader. I have a huge Excel database of over 1,000 route segments. The ratings are also tied to estimated travel time so I can experiment with a lot of route variations and create a table of the hardest route to the easiest by manipulating the rating data.

I think any rating system works as long as it is explained well for those who would use it. And having a rating does not eliminate the need for verbal description in the actual route write-up and appropriate photos showing the route cruxes.

By the way, this thread seems to belong in the "campfire" section.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

A new scale?
Heck I have troubles going from imperial to metric, let alone dealing with YDS, NCCS, UIAA, FMG, WXYZ, and all of the provincial scales that exist in individual sovereigns. They collectively amount to a Tower of Babel. No wonder, then, the confusion.

Do XC trekkers need their own scale? The problem isn't coming up with a relevant scale, it is lack of a mutual understanding what any scale means. We only need look at Secor's own words to realize only hard core trekkers would be comfortable with his take on class 1 - 4. Part of that is because of his climbing background; part probably an ego thing on his part - you're a p_ _ _y if you think that was a Class 4! But in the spirit of trying to come up with a scale that affords backpackers a general consensus, I may have the solution. We need only agree to assign values in this scale based on how we think a newbie trekker would feel doing the route.

The Panty Scale
  1. Dry panties - In total control, I got this.
  2. Spotted panties - Difficult moments, minor bladder control issues, however managed to not embarrass myself.
  3. Soaked panties - Scary moments, peed my pants.
  4. Skid marked panties - Generally scary, peed my pants, almost lost my s_ _ t.
  5. Loaded panties - Mostly scary, and the crux move made me shat my pants!
  6. No panties - Terrified, shat my pants so often I left them behind.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Yes, lots of "cute" and "cleaver " replies. I am sure we each have our own.

There is a rating system for climbing (backpackers are not necessarily climbers), and a rating system for maintained trails (most trail guides use "easy" "moderate" "strenuous" or something similar), but a lack of rating of everything in between. It is a valid discussion. Ratings are useful tools for guidebooks where there are physical page limits. With all the digital data sources nowadays, perhaps not as much needed. For example, our HST map is a really good answer to this problem. I use it all the time.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:31 am "Yes, lots of "cute" and "cleaver " (sic) replies. I am sure we each have our own..."
IOW, my system is basically a pantload of crap! But actually, Nancy, I think you are on to something, your movie rating concept is GREAT. One doesn't have to memorize the nuances of a complex, arcane rating system, as you repurpose a simple, widely known system. You draw really nice conceptual parallels between the movie rating equivalents and terrain ratings. It doesn't rely on nuanced interpretation or technical doublespeak. Anyone can relate to the general description of each category. I shared your scale with my trail strolling, car camping wife, and she got what every category alluded. For this geezer, former gonzo trekker it instantly, clearly conjures what awaits me on a given pass or col.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.