Markskor Memorial?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Markskor Memorial?

Post by oldranger »

Memorial for Mark? I have talked with Brian, Mark's son, and he agrees that a memorial get together at Tuolumne Meadows is something that he feels is appropriate and Mark would like as long as it is not too maudlin or formal. Unfortunately my schedule is quite limited ( and living 10 hours away from TM) the only weekend that works for me is July 20-21. My plan is to try and reserve one group campsite in the campground. The group sites are quite close to the backpacker campground so that is an alternative area for those not inclined to use the group site and are beginning or ending a trip on that weekend. If interested in attending please respond on line. If interested in planning please pm me and I will share more details.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Markskor Memorial?

Post by Silky Smooth »

I couldnt think of a better place than the meadows to celebrate Mark! July 20th works for me, i'll def stop by and say hey hello.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Sorry to throw cold water on your plans, but if you check the Yosemite Park website, you will see that the Tuolumne Meadows campground is completely closed all of 2022 and 2023 and possibly 2024 for a major rehabilitation project! This includes the backpackers' camp area - also closed.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Good heavens, that's actually the week I'll be in the area getting ready to join a Sierra Club trip! This has GOT to happen! Campground closures be, uh, "darned!" ;)
—B²
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

As much as I'd like to be there, my son and daughter in law's due date is July 21, so I can't make it. It's too bad about Tuolumne being closed for the massive renovation. I did notice that the campgrounds in Mammoth Lakes (New and Old Shady Rest, Pine Glen, Sherwin Creek) do have campsites available during that time period. That may be an alternate for those who can make it with the memorial taking place in Tuolumne during the day.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Umm. no. He would have hated that. If you met him or hung out with him, that was enough for him.
RIP Markskor.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

rlown wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:56 pm Umm. no. He would have hated that. If you met him or hung out with him, that was enough for him.
RIP Markskor.
As has often been said, memorials are not really for those who have passed, but those who are still with us. If a group from this forum wants to get together to share memories in honor of Markskor, then fair enough. The TM campground is obviously not an option, and I have some calendar issues around the proposed date, but I think you should go ahead and plan what you want to do, and those who are interested/supportive can participate.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

plan B
Last edited by oldranger on Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mike, what was his favorite trip with you and put the ashes there. Adair?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ,
two trips come to mind: The 3 week yosemite slam trip and the two week Search for the Gold Head for the Green trip. Both beyond my ability now.
Mike