Markskor Memorial?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Markskor Memorial?

Post by gary c. »

I didn't know him well on a personal level. We only met face to face once so I can't say what he would have liked or not. As much as he complained about people I think he still enjoyed being around them. How else do you get to be such a great story teller. I loved his "Solo Adventures".

I know that when he wasn't in the backcountry he enjoyed spending his summers in the TM employees camp. Hanging out with the other dirt bags and the evening "comradery" seemed to be something pretty dear to him. Might be a nice place to remember him from and hopefully a little of his spirit would stick around to enjoy those summer evenings around the campfire.

Just a thought.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Unfortunately, Tuolumne Campground will be closed this year for reconstruction.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:24 am Unfortunately, Tuolumne Campground will be closed this year for reconstruction.
If I remember correctly the one that Mark so often talked about wasn't the backpackers camp but one in the trees behind the store and post office?
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Both backpackers and the huge regular campground will be closed. Go to the Yosemite web site and read about it.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Silky Smooth »

We could all meet unofficially by one of the cathedral lakes, club med area, sunset dome, a few come time that meet the criteria and Mark would approve. There's more than few whisky domes that Yosemite's frequent around the lodge as well. The meadows and Mark go hand in hand in my book, couldn't think of any other place for a meet up. But given the restrictions and day pass limitations, yes it would make it hard to coordinate.