Snowpack levels <> Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
jfbruin34
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Snowpack levels <> Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne

Post by jfbruin34 »

Fairly new to this wonderful HST community. Tried to read the rules, hoping this it the right place to ask this question.

At the sage advice of Mark Skor we snagged permits for Glen Aulin => White Wolf to hike the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne starting 6/16. I've heard/read a few times that high snowpack levels can make some of the creeks very dangerous to cross at that time of year.

Any advice on:
A) whether we should re-think our wkd based on current snowpack levels
B) how to best keep tabs on how conditions will likely evolve as the weather warms up?

Our group is late 30s / early 40s and in good health with reasonable backpacking experience. Not grizzled veterans yet, but we've summited most of the LA/OC peaks + Whitney, had no problems with Kearsarge Pass from OV and several 3-4 day overnights in the Eastern Sierra, I'm taking a wilderness survival course this spring and another in our group has summited Mt. Baker and Mt. Reinier.

Thanks!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Snowpack levels <> Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne

Post by Harlen »

Hey jfbruin34,

Welcome to you too and best of luck on your trip. Conditions section is a bit tricky, I believe from the post I've included below, that your query should be in the Backpacking section. I bet you'll get some good advice on those water crossings.

re. Conditions, Maverick wrote:
This is not a place to post trip reports, but a place for members to post current conditions experienced in the backcountry on recent trips.
This will give other members considering visiting, or traveling through that same location a heads up on difficult sections, so they can plan accordingly.

Please, do not request information about particular sections of interest that you are about to visit, your post will be deleted.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
jfbruin34
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Snowpack levels <> Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne

Post by jfbruin34 »

Moving now, thanks!