Advice: Which backpacking trip to do?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Advice: Which backpacking trip to do?

Post by mxoyez »

Hey!
I'm planning out which backpacking trips I want to do this summer, and there are a few options I'm mainly considering (though always open to other suggestions!). They are:
New Army Pass -> Miter Basin -> Mt Whitney
Benson Lake Loop
Sawtooth Pass -> Timber Gap via Kaweah Gap + Nine Lakes Basin
Mcgee Pass to Hopkins Pass
Italy Pass -> Pine Creek Pass (Was going to do this one but had to cancel due to smoke).

Does anyone here have a clear view of which would be nicest? I guess the most important thing to me is the lack of crowds (one group every 5 miles or so is ok though, and obviously Whitney is going to be crowded.).
Here's some of the required info:
Experience: 2.
Preferred Terrain: Class 1 with maybe 1 class 2 pass.
Favorite Scenery: Lakes with a few trees.
Miles per day: 12 (Can do more but prefer not to)
Nights:<5
Prefer Loops, though not required.

Thank you!
GGC23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Advice: Which backpacking trip to do?

Post by GGC23 »

If your goal is to avoid crowds, I wouldn't recommend the Benson Lake loop. That area is popular with both hikers and packers, so there is very little solitude. My first pick from your list -- both based on your desire for solitude and my subjective assessment of which of the areas you've listed is the "best" -- would be the McGee / Hopkins trip. The McGee trail is one of my favorites and the Silver Divide area is beautiful. Most of it sits at that perfect just about treeline elevation where things are still lush and green but the views are also open. And Hopkins is a fun, semi-off trail pass.
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted

Post by mxoyez »

GGC23 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:21 pm If your goal is to avoid crowds, I wouldn't recommend the Benson Lake loop. That area is popular with both hikers and packers, so there is very little solitude. My first pick from your list -- both based on your desire for solitude and my subjective assessment of which of the areas you've listed is the "best" -- would be the McGee / Hopkins trip. The McGee trail is one of my favorites and the Silver Divide area is beautiful. Most of it sits at that perfect just about treeline elevation where things are still lush and green but the views are also open. And Hopkins is a fun, semi-off trail pass.
Thank you for the advice! Are there any particular basins/areas you would recommend exploring during the trip?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did McGee/Hopkins plus a lot more this summer and was not that impressed with Hopkins. The upper basin of McGee Lake is the best part - just day-hike up there. If you have two cars or can arrange transportation, McGee-Convict Loop is more spectacular. Corridor Pass is a bit trickier (micro-route finding is more difficult, but not as steep as than Hopkins). Corridor Pass may be longer until you reach a trail. Good trail once you get to Dorothy Lake. Harlen did a trip up from Convict Lake. You may want to look at our reports. Although not "crowds" McGee Lake is quite popular.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21770

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21912 (Harlen's report)

Example trip that may work for you:
1) Mc Gee Lake (rigorous but can make it in a day)
2) layover day hike upper valley on way to Hopkins Pass and Little Mc Gee Lake
3) Constance or Lake below it
4) move down to Dorothy Lake- day hike Genevive
5) out to Convict Lk (very steep trail)
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted

Post by mxoyez »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:47 pm I did McGee/Hopkins plus a lot more this summer and was not that impressed with Hopkins. The upper basin of McGee Lake is the best part - just day-hike up there. If you have two cars or can arrange transportation, McGee-Convict Loop is more spectacular. Corridor Pass is a bit trickier (micro-route finding is more difficult, but not as steep as than Hopkins). Corridor Pass may be longer until you reach a trail. Good trail once you get to Dorothy Lake. Harlen did a trip up from Convict Lake. You may want to look at our reports. Although not "crowds" McGee Lake is quite popular.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21770

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21912 (Harlen's report)

Example trip that may work for you:
1) Mc Gee Lake (rigorous but can make it in a day)
2) layover day hike upper valley on way to Hopkins Pass and Little Mc Gee Lake
3) Constance or Lake below it
4) move down to Dorothy Lake- day hike Genevive
5) out to Convict Lk (very steep trail)
I see. I've already done a dayhike over to mcgee pass, but I really wanted to get down to those meadows on the other side near Tully lake. I'll look more into the corridor pass "loop" though! Also, can you get to Lee lake from the corridor pass area? Google earth shows what looks like a class 2 pass there but I cant tell. Thanks for all your help!
GGC23
Topix Acquainted

Post by GGC23 »

Regarding areas to explore in a McGee / Hopkins trip, I'd recommend a lollipop loop that goes McGee trailhead --> Hopkins Pass --> drop down to Mono Creek --> brief hike westbound on the Mono Creek trail --> pick up the Sierra High Route by climbing back up to Laurel Lake --> Shout of Relief and Bighorn Passes --> Tully Lake --> rejoin the McGee Pass Trail. The drop down to and subsequent climb out of the Mono Creek area is steep and kind of forested and boring, but the rest of the trip is spectacular, particularly the stretch from Laurel Lake to Tully Lake.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The "class 2 " pass from the Corridor Pass area to Lee Lake is not a good one. On Google Earth, be sure to rotate fully around what you are inspecting. The slopes can look deceivingly less than they actually are if looked at from the wrong angle. Also, realize that a 45-degree slope will feel very steep when on it. Angle of repose is 30-degrees, so a 45-degree slope is not stable- slip and slide territory. And if snow, a serious slope.

Just a warning- class 2 passes can vary dramatically from relatively easy to very difficult. Exposure is not taken into account. On some if you fall you may get banged up; on others you fall-you die. The system of rating is based on climbing assuming climbing experience, not hauling a full pack or being just a backpacker with no mountaineering experience. Secor's guide sandbags a lot of class 2 passes. Be careful.
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted

Post by mxoyez »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:18 am The "class 2 " pass from the Corridor Pass area to Lee Lake is not a good one. On Google Earth, be sure to rotate fully around what you are inspecting. The slopes can look deceivingly less than they actually are if looked at from the wrong angle. Also, realize that a 45-degree slope will feel very steep when on it. Angle of repose is 30-degrees, so a 45-degree slope is not stable- slip and slide territory. And if snow, a serious slope.

Just a warning- class 2 passes can vary dramatically from relatively easy to very difficult. Exposure is not taken into account. On some if you fall you may get banged up; on others you fall-you die. The system of rating is based on climbing assuming climbing experience, not hauling a full pack or being just a backpacker with no mountaineering experience. Secor's guide sandbags a lot of class 2 passes. Be careful.
Thanks for letting me know! I won't be trying out that pass then. Corridor Pass -> Mcgee creek sounds awesome though. I could even do an off day in the middle to climb Red Slate.
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted

Post by mxoyez »

GGC23 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:46 am Regarding areas to explore in a McGee / Hopkins trip, I'd recommend a lollipop loop that goes McGee trailhead --> Hopkins Pass --> drop down to Mono Creek --> brief hike westbound on the Mono Creek trail --> pick up the Sierra High Route by climbing back up to Laurel Lake --> Shout of Relief and Bighorn Passes --> Tully Lake --> rejoin the McGee Pass Trail. The drop down to and subsequent climb out of the Mono Creek area is steep and kind of forested and boring, but the rest of the trip is spectacular, particularly the stretch from Laurel Lake to Tully Lake.
That sounds incredible. I've never really done class 2 before (only done old army pass on Langley if that counts?), so would you recommend practicing some class 2 on dayhikes, or does it come pretty naturally?
GGC23
Topix Acquainted

Post by GGC23 »

mxoyez wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:53 am
GGC23 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:46 am Regarding areas to explore in a McGee / Hopkins trip, I'd recommend a lollipop loop that goes McGee trailhead --> Hopkins Pass --> drop down to Mono Creek --> brief hike westbound on the Mono Creek trail --> pick up the Sierra High Route by climbing back up to Laurel Lake --> Shout of Relief and Bighorn Passes --> Tully Lake --> rejoin the McGee Pass Trail. The drop down to and subsequent climb out of the Mono Creek area is steep and kind of forested and boring, but the rest of the trip is spectacular, particularly the stretch from Laurel Lake to Tully Lake.
That sounds incredible. I've never really done class 2 before (only done old army pass on Langley if that counts?), so would you recommend practicing some class 2 on dayhikes, or does it come pretty naturally?
I'd say it depends more on your mental stamina than your physical ability. The off trail section from Laurel Lake to Tully Hole is technically quite easy...you would have to try very hard to find sufficient exposure to put yourself in any danger. But there is a decent talus / boulder field to traverse between Shout of Relief and Bighorn, which can be mentally exhausting if you're not used to it. Your pace will slow to a crawl, and it can be frustrating to feel like the next pass is not getting any closer even though you're expending 10x more energy than you would on trail. Tackling that stretch at the start of the day will help, and Laurel Lake is a spectacular campsite, which you'll likely have all to yourself.