Articles or Videos for late spring backpacking with some snow?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Articles or Videos for late spring backpacking with some snow?

Post by michaelzim »

@Bluewater Well your video is actually quite relevant! Looking at the snow graphs for March 2013 the levels almost match this current March exactly. The thin blue line is 2012-2013 winter. Thick blue line is this year. Red line is 1992-1993:

Snow Chart 1.JPG
So, I guess the amount of snow and exposed rock, etc. on your 2013 journey may well be close to what to expect at the present time up there right now. If we get zero new precipitation going forward, then it looks like early entries may be possible (for me) by late April! I don't mind some snow so long as it is not all that way and your vid had quite a good percentage of rocks, etc. showing.

So thanks for that! ~ Michaelzim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

@michaelzim those graphs provide some good perspective, I didn't realize the similarity in the 2013 and current year snow levels!

If you're interested in an easy way to enjoy the spring in the Sierra with minimal gear and little or no avalanche risk check out this trip we took a few years ago in the Spring of 2016 (May of a big snow year). We took advantage of the brief spring window (usually a 2 week period) when the trail had already been broken by the early PCT hikers and the snow level was about 9,000'+. By camping just below the passes we were able to 'leisurely' walk over the passes safely using micro's and ice axes in the early morning while the snow was still hard, then go downhill on softer snow and back down to dry ground the rest of the day. We entered via Lamarck then Muir, Mather, Pinchot, Donahue and out via Kearsarge. Timing was important, and crossing the South Fork Kings was sketchy, but we got lucky with clear skies the entire time.

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... -2016.html

Cowboy camp above Wanda Lake:

Mather Pass:

Break at lower elevation:

South side of Pinchot:

Upper Basin from Lake Marjorie:

We did a trip report here on HST somewhere.

Have fun and maybe we'll see you out there!
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

@Bluewater Hey your trips are great! I'm not in your league though...what with cowboy camping in those conditions. I clearly get cold a lot easier and am a consistent "tenter" even in balmier climes.

Yes, I had thought of the early trailblazers and the PCT as it would not be nearly as crowded early season. Indeed that zone you went through reminded me of just how spectacular the upper Evolution Basin is. I have not been between Muir Pass and Woods Creek so it would be new ground of seemingly equal beauty - and the snow sure adds a magic of its own. However, I could not figure out how to do a shuttle thing, especially if the access roads are closed (as they are still at present c/o Inyo ranger station call today). They could all be open by May 1st. when Inyo likes to have them open for the start of fishing season. Depends on interim weather of course.
My plan for an inner area loop of some kind would be more suitable for my base camp mode, though therein lies potentially deeper snow and possibly less ability to bail before any serious weather moves in.

Snow - April 4th..JPG

On the snow charts we are diving down rapidly. The current SWC for central area is now down to 33% for state average (37% for Central Sierras) and that matches the same percentage for mid May in 2016 [green line] which is two weeks later than your trip and an advance on that season of almost 6 weeks! What that means for this year IF there is minimal new snow, is that there may be next to nothing left re snow by early May 2022...That would be equivalent to the lowest year of 2015, and an outrageously early end to the "winter". We will see I guess.

Thanks again for the help and great photos too. Gives a clear visual on what to expect given the above "timelines" and expectations.

Best ~ Michaelzim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi Michael,
I went on Ned Tibitts’ last two trips.I did it to extend my backpacking season, I never imagined that our world would burn and it would become my entire backpacking season.
TAKE THE WHIPPET and practice using it.
Crampons are more stable than micro spikes and not that much heavier. (They make crampons that do not have the front spikes for ice climbing but ha d good big teeth.
Remember that your body temps can be controlled by what you eat. If it is really freezing and you are cold, boil up some water for a hot drink. I heat water and put it between my clothes in my pack so I am not drinking frozen water and chilling myself all day.
Make sure that your tent can stand up to snow and wind. You do not want to be without shelter.
All of the other things that the others have recommended are sage advise!