Articles or Videos for late spring backpacking with some snow?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Articles or Videos for late spring backpacking with some snow?

Post by michaelzim »

@paul , @Wandering Daisy , @TurboHike

Thanks much for the added help here. The tips and direction I have received is great - and has led to many previously unknown to me websites and videos. Golly, once you get going in there the quantity of stuff to see and read online is staggering. Some garbage of course, but I am pretty blown away by how much people voluntarily share their hiking tips and lore in such depth and detail.

For my part, I have heeded the comments here on HST + the conclusions I have come to from my perusings, and decided to just get hiking poles for now. No more additional carry weight with ice axe or micro-spikes. Maybe gaiters, but I will wait and see ref. snow conditions nearer to April - May.
The hiking poles may be something (like Daisy's experience) I get used to and then wonder why it took so long. If anything, just to help with creek crossings in spring could be worth their added weight. One avoided slip into the drink and they have earned their keep!

With regards to ice and slopes, etc. I am going to follow the advice of tuning into the time of day in more detail and planning routes accordingly. After watching "self arrest" videos with an ice axe it was pretty obvious I needed to practice extensively in real snow beforehand in order for it to be of any use...and that was not going to happen at my location and 5+ hours drive from snow. Falling off a ladder and hitting the ground can happen so fast (at my age) that I reckoned slipping on an icy slope could be even quicker!...Nope! Best to avoid those situations as much as feasible in the fist place.

So again, thanks for all the help here. Much appreciated.

Michaelzim
SkiBum96
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SkiBum96 »

Watch for snow crossings on a steep slope, I didn't bring my micro spikes in a loop from carson pass to 4th of july lake and hooked back on the PCT to do a bigloop, and right as we came almost full circle we hit elephant rock and a big snow slap on the switch backs, we should have turned around but we didn't feel like turning back, I was the only one with trekking poles so I was kicking steps in the snow with my trail runners for the both of us with exposure below us.......

so i'd bring at least kaholla micro spikes, they give a ton of grip on the snow and ice and only weigh 8 oz a foot.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

Thanks for the tip off SkiBum, but sounds like your venture was recent - though could indeed be what conditions will be in May. What with almost no precipitation here in what feels like months (6 or 7 weeks?) the snow forecast for spring is up for grabs. Given the new normal of "extremes" we could have floods in April...or more mega-drought.

Meanwhile, does anyone have anything to say about Vargo Pocket Cleats?
They sure are light, but how well do they stay attached given some tension on a slope? Or if you slip out and shear sideways, etc.?
I figure Vargo must have test run them before going into manufacture, but I wonder just how "serious" they are for stable traction as a back-up?

My preference would be to not have to carry ice gear as many comments/reviews I have come across seem to imply that they were hardly used, or clogged up with snow (if not full crampons), etc. Hence if just need something for a minor section, the Vargo's may do it.

Ta ~ M.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Vargo Pocket Cleats: I don't have that exact product, but I have something similar, and I was never positively impressed.

My microspikes did nicely.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Daisy always has the sage advice!
As she mentions, there are a bunch of class 1 trails over passes that earn their rating as switch back routes, but when covered with snow can be a serious challenge and even dangerous for less experienced hikers. The danger lies in the run out zone, its characteristics and distance from where you initially slip. A slip and slide on a steep snow field of only a few yards into a sand berm is not nearly as dangerous as a slope pouring over a vertical drop, or tobogganing at high speed down a moderate slope hundreds of feet into large scree. Note: the passes likely to hold the most snow are north facing. For that reason attempt to plan your route going southbound, to minimize the chance of you being surprised by conditions on the backside of a pass you just climbed.

I consider late spring traveling in the High Sierra more difficult than early spring conditions, if for no other reason you get wet a lot more often.
In case no one else mentioned it, bring water crossing shoes and a towel to dry off after each crossing. I HATE freezing cold feet! That said, it is not uncommon for certain routes to have so much water that wet feet are unavoidable. Ergo, Daisy's dry camp shoes are mandatory.

High water stream crossings are actually the most dangerous aspect of Sierra hiking IMO. Fast moving water only knee high can easily sweep you off your feet. That stream may be only three feet deep but if you get swept into submerged shrubbery or structure, the hydraulic forces will pin you, and you stand a good chance of drowning. Preplan contingency options for un-crossable high water, and leave that plan back home with a responsible person. One time I went on a late May trip into the high country, when a late season rain hit, melting a bunch of snow. The melt combined with the precipitation caused the streams lower down to become impassible and I ended up making a 20+ mile detour, emerging out of the Sierra in the the middle of podunk foothill country. If something happened to me on that detour, folks would not have found me unless they knew of my contingency plans.

On the subject of water: avoid snow covered approaches to water, whenever possible. Slipping into the water or plunging through a snow bridge is a big deal, potentially a serious incident. To that end, devise a method you can collect water from stand off distances. Poles with a securely attached pot or water bottle work. Just make sure the container is securely attached to the poles.

Another hazard is falling rock. When the sun heats the day, ice holding rocks in place can melt and release the rocks. Exercise caution on slopes that can become bowling alleys later in the day, or while near the base of tall rock formations that can make you a target in their shooting galley.

You mentioned, Michael, that you preferred not to use trekking poles. If you are on firm snow, flat or otherwise, then four points of contact with the ground are necessary. People slip and hurt themselves in flat parking lots at ski resorts; the backcountry is no place to smack your head, or twist a knee. If you are on soft snow you may get by with a lightweight staff. I normally hike with a staff; I made mine using carbon fiber tubes, it is lighter than a most trekking poles, and almost unnoticeable while carrying in the hand. It also telescopes so can be stashed in the pack. I find the staff sufficient on the occasional pass covered with soft snow on inclines up to 35˚, in the summer time. But if I were traveling in the spring and anticipate multiple snow covered passes I would err on the side of safety and also bring an an axe, probably crampons. IMO if you need a tool to arrest your slide, then a whippet is not sufficient. Whippets were designed to be used in conjunction with skis to arrest minnor slips. Many skiers will break out the axe on steeper inclines, it is more agile and ergonomic. If you are hiking terrain steep enough to require an arrest tool, you'll be on terrain where hiking with four point contact is an necessity. Get poles, get crampons and an axe, learn how to use these tools, and practice on technique before heading up the first snow pitch on every hike.

Spikes or crampons. One of the videos Turbohiker shares laments over micro spike failure. I have heard of similar experiences. micro spikes are good for parking lots and gentle terrain, but the force dynamics on steep slopes will have you body weight hanging by the rubber rand, while the rocky terrain becomes an anvil as your boot hammers the chain works of the spikes underfoot. You may use them only a short time on a trip, but that application requires mission critical dependability. You can lighten load, going with aluminum crampons. +1 for crampons

It can get hot in the sun on a snow covered slope. Consider bringing a long sleeve white shirt to block radiating heat and UV rays, yet facilitate keeping cool.

Lastly note there is a period that generally lasts a couple of weeks in April, when the nighttime temperature stays above freezing. Do not travel in areas where this occurs, the snowpack fails to refreeze, making the potential for avalanches a 24 hour/day hazard.

Ed
Last edited by Gogd on Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
I like soloing with friends.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Gogd wrote:
If you are on firm snow, flat or otherwise, then four points of contact with the ground are necessary.
I agree entirely, and that is why I almost always take a Dog:

100_2130.jpg

100_0842.jpg

Four points of contact, I'm good!

*If I didn't have the dog I would have to crawl about those slippery surfaces on all fours :nod:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Harlen wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:06 am Gogd wrote:
If you are on firm snow, flat or otherwise, then four points of contact with the ground are necessary.
Wouldn't two feet and a dog on a leash be 3 points? Or six? Maybe if you had two leashes?

Just watch out for those tennis ball throwing bears. :derp:
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

@Gogd …Golly! A real treatise of tips and advice. Sincere thank you!

How conditions are going to be in late April or May is totally up in the “anything goes” category as far as I am concerned. As someone who has lived in need of weather watching (agriculture) for 45 years + meteorology background at university the new normal of “weather extremes” is a very evident fact to me.
After 80 degree days a short while ago and even the Blue Oaks on my west facing slope leafing out 4 to 6 weeks early, we got a severe 24 degree killing freeze/frost last night.
Predicting ahead is as good as impossible, though I would be as equally unsurprised to have almost zero Sierra’s snow in future, or massive amounts by the time the days are long enough for me to consider heading out into the backcountry.
Hence I’m holding off on getting some crampons until April or thereabouts!

Yes, more details on the potential for switchbacks ending up as snow or ice covered toboggan zones has me looking much more carefully at north facing slopes on potential trail routes. That slope angle shading feature on CalTopo sure brings it into view well. As Daisy pointed out it sure highlights the tricky places on Bishop Pass right in the switchback area of the north slope. East-west passes are going to get more of my planning attention.

Check, re camp shoes. I already take those on most of my trips, but got some lighter quicker drying ones recently in anticipation of more wetness.
I am beffudled by the innumerable videos I have now watched of PCT’ers walking through multiple creeks in semi-snow conditions in their only shoes/trail-shoes and just continuing in them sopping wet all day. I don’t get it. Surely that would lead to rotten feet and blisters?!
By the way Andrew Skurka has a really good spring stream crossing hazard map and list at this link: https://andrewskurka.com/psa-hazardous- ... lternates/

Check, re rocks “bowling alleys” due to expansion and contraction. It had me realizing that really warm conditions in spring, which are inviting for a trip, may require more caution than cooler conditions. So, yet another route planning, time of day, or decision for a trip factor. An early heat wave (like we used to get almost like clockwork at the beginning of May) takes on a new light!

Yep, re trekking poles. I now have some and have been trying them out on the mountain behind my house. The rhythm is settling in and I may well come to like them. As a result of this post they are now a “take for sure” item on my early season list. Thanks for the added boost on that.

After reading a bunch of articles, reviews and comments here, I am most likely going to take a pass on micro-spikes or Vargos. Seems like if conditions are really tricky with ice, my first course of action would be to not even be there! Second would be to not dick around and have the proper tools for the job = crampons.
To be familiar enough with an ice axe though is most likely beyond my practice zone living so far from snow to make self-arrest second nature. Again, conditions avoidance best, or waiting for softer snow times of day only.

Long-sleeved white shirt is standard for me on every Sierra trip, no matter when.

Huh…good point ref. warm nights and no refreezing ref. avalanche hazard. Yes I can imagine that scenario from the little snow stuff I have done.

Sheesh, this early season idea sure can be more complicated than I at first considered…I really appreciate all the feedback (especially not being four-legged) and will have to see how the rest of winter-spring shakes out. At a minimum my destinations and potential routes have already changed.

Best ~ Michaelzim
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Harlen wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:06 am Gogd wrote:

*If I didn't have the dog I would have to crawl about those slippery surfaces on all fours :nod:
Ian, I suspected an ulterior motive behind Bearzy's presence in all of your trips!
Like the Bearzy belay image.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I’m late to the thread, and plenty of good tips and experience have already been shared. If you don’t mind the amateur videography I did a video a few years ago about a solo spring snowshoe loop trip in March 2013 over Piute-Alpine Col-Lamarck Col. Lots of packed snow made for easy travel above tree line, beautiful scenery and no other people for four days.

https://youtu.be/IhioMfPkiC8

Have fun! Andrew.