2022 HST Post Covid Meetup

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2022 HST Post Covid Meetup

Post by Gogd »

Unfortunately my doctors have not cleared to engaged in unrestricted physical activity - just yet. But they like my attitude. Whatever...
Hope whoever gets up there enjoys the walk and company.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

I scouted for a river crossing location for Ladder Lake, both below and well above the old fence post in the JMT (which is near the outlet cascade), for about 40 minutes on Thu 8/4. The river was flowing strongly as it had rained a bit or a lot for about 10 days straight (per hikers I spoke to). I looked high and low but did not find any point where I felt safe in crossing. Each potential spot had a least one point where the river was at least crotch deep with very strong stream flow. Plus clouds were already building at mid-morning adding concern about getting back across the next day. So I moved on and did not climb to Ladder Lake.

I am very glad I didn't cross the river. At 2 p.m. rain began and fell almost continuously through 9 a.m. Friday morning. Off and on drizzle continued throughout Friday with fog above about 10,000 +/- obstructing the usual stellar views in the area. I huddled near Dinosaur Rock above Big Pete meadow from 2:30 p.m. Thurs until Friday 7:00 a.m. Hikers coming over Muir pass were soaked on Thurs afternoon. On Friday, the river was roaring and trails were puddled and Little Pete looked like a swamp. Even the side stream crossing above Big Pete required a fast current wade above my knees vs. a simple rock walk the day before. All the side streams in the canyon were roaring cascades. IMO, Anyone at Ladder Lake would have been forced to wait several days for the water level to subside to go back across the river. Hopefully nobody was trapped there.

This picture is of the Dusy Branch from the trail bridge just below Dusy Basin on Friday 8/5.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Wow, this has been a crazy period in the Sierra; just watching the Bishop/Mammoth webcams is enough to give me a sense of what's happening up there, but nothing like this shot and the photos in the Conditions thread. Cameron
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

OMG! Pretty wild for August!