Rambaud Creek?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Rambaud Creek?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Has anyone been up Rambaud Creek Lakes (just east of Wheel Mountain, Black Divide? Would going north to Ladder Lake be at all possible?

Are there fish in Ladder Lake?
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rambaud Creek?

Post by thegib »

Haven't combined 'em.
Sidehilling NE from 10200' on Rambaud ck, crossing the ridge at 10800' to the little lake then cut back sharp WNWest?
Ladder lake has superb views.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I have been to Ladder Lake, coming in from the north traversing at the base of Black Divide (nothing technical, just slow with lots of talus), and then dropped down Ladder Creek to the PCT. Also been up and down Ladder Creek. So yes, I really like Ladder Lake- great views. I just thought it would be great to directly go between Rambaud and Ladder. I think Rambaud Creek is used as a climbing approach to Devil's Crags.

If you have gone up Rambaud, how would you rate it? Any tricky parts? Ladder Creek is a matter of avoiding brush- veering north of the actual creek to avoid brush.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

I am also interested in a route between Rambaud Creek and Ladder Lake.

Secor describes "Henry Col":
Class 2-3. Ice axe required. This steep pass has been used to hike from Rambaud Creek to Ladder Lake. The south side of the pass is relatively easy, but the north side is a steep snow/ice chute.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

SPS trip report describes going up Rambaud Creek. Not a lot of details- more focused on the climb. River crossing can be the crux depending on flow. Alpine Mike also described Rambaud Pass (Topix map- cross country passes), and he went down Rambaud Creek- suggested to traverse descend farther north than the SPS climbers did. Looks very steep on map; looks better on Google Earth. It appears to be a big effort to get to the lakes; wonder if they are worth it? In my opinion, the effort to reach Ladder Lakes IS worth it.

http://sierrapeaks.org/archives/sps00100.htm
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I am planning on going over from ladder lake to rambaud creek in july of this year, and go down rambaud creek. Bob burd has a description of doing rambaud creek look up both his wheel and devils crag posts.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I like both this post and the Elba Lake post. Glad to see that others are spending their cold winter months perusing maps, making plans, and dreaming of trips in the future!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

My memory of Rambaud is 15+ year hazy. I think I thought it wasn't worth a return trip - but not so bad to say never again. Rambaud pass I remember as being extraordinarily tediously sandy loose. Back then Woodsworth peak had a register that made it more than worthwhile. I've long wondered about linking to the north.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:09 pm Are there fish in Ladder Lake?
I have not been there, but I was told the lake has brookies (and not big ones) by reliable sources. This information caused me to cancel a trip there; the isolated setting of Ladder had long appealed to me having viewed it from the summits of various peaks to the east. The story is that Ladder was once a rainbow lake with nice fish, but as the air drop era came to an end it was decided to drop brookies in there with the thought that the fishery would be more likely to sustain itself.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

Heh, I was wondering the same thing. It seems like things should work out, but they might not looking at topo. I'd probably try and wiggle around the Citadel then aim for the pond SE of 11397 and then find some zigzag down the ridge there. It's not the most effecient route, but Secor's Henry Col looks a bit intense. :p

I was chatting with a peak bagger / fastpacker last summer at BVC in Mammoth and they highly recommended going up Rambaud Creek to Rambaud Lakes / Devil's Crags area - "super wild place not a soul around and very beautiful high alpine tarns like turquoise blue."

I've been toying with a trip to Shakspere / Observation area for a while after looking down from Observation peak a few years back. I guess dropping down Rambaud Pass (which seems tedious but might be better east to west) to Goddard Creek and then taking the upper middle fork up (never been, seems like it could get bushbashy) would make a loop.