Elba Lake outlet

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
westmatt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Elba Lake outlet

Post by westmatt »

Can anyone advise to the condition of the (apparent) use trail from the Elba Lake outlet to the French Canyon trail?

thanks
-Matt
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Elba Lake outlet

Post by rlown »

What is your planned route? There are several ways up and down that area. Right now, it is under snow, so hard to answer.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

We'll be going from the Puppet/Paris bench towards the Paiute Trail, down French Canyon (in August). Just want to avoid any insane bushwacking or other general unpleasantness.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

There is no unpleasantness on that route but I've seen CDFW go out that way towards Pine creek. It is easy, even without a trail if you just pick your path down.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

I haven't been over it recently, but it was fairly straightforward to Elba, Moon, and L Lakes. There is a long straight uphill trail from French Canyon up the side of a somewhat open hillside to get to Elba. It was pretty commonly used by horses so was not at all subtle to follow.

The terrain is only slightly trickier getting up on the next plateau to Alsace/Paris/Puppet/ Star. I had to go back and forth a little to find the gentlest path from one plateau up to the next. I did not find anything like a trail there.

Edit: I just now understood that you are probably referring to a completely different trail from the standard trail that comes in to Elba from the upper end of the canyon below Pine Creek Pass, but instead a trail that cuts down from the outlet to the main trail and thus saves a little distance. I've not done that, but will leave my response in case someone else happens across this who might benefit. The terrain certainly looks like it would permit it.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have dropped down from the north end (about mid-lake) of Puppet Lake to Elba. It is steep and a bit rocky. None of the off-trail travel is difficult.

Here is a map of all the routes I have taken. The color or type of line means nothing- just different so I can separate segments. Not saying my routes are the best -but they did work.
Puppet Lake area.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MitchellK
Topix Novice

Post by MitchellK »

I was around there last summer during a Sierra High Route segment. It's a reasonably chill area. I didn't hike the exact route you're referring to. We went east and north to French lake before descending into French Canyon. But I have high hopes for you.

Here's a picture of Elba lake from above last year. The picture is oriented facing North. As you can kind of see, the terrain around French Canyon is reasonably gentle! Unfortunately the route is out of view in the photo (your route falls off behind the back right), but I figure you may feel better looking at the area from the ground even if it isn't the perfect angle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

it is unambiguous
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

Thanks all - much appreciated.

-Matt
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Just a quick follow-up. You can actually see the trail(s) in Google Earth Pro.