Advice: Kearsarge Pass to Bishop Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice: Kearsarge Pass to Bishop Pass

Post by Harlen »

Flamingo wrote:
I love the off-trail camping options in the Woods Creek headwaters, east of Pinchot Pass. My suggestion is to take an easy ~3 mile off-trail detour that roughly parallels the JMT.
What a great contribution, helpful to kpeter and us all. In my reading of our departed member Larry Conn, I learned that he would commonly choose to hike a route parallel to the JMT. Good luck with the route Peter, and now the darn reservation system.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Yes indeed, so many summers of my life have been enriched by so many of you. Some, like Flamingo, I met on the one HST meetup I could attend. Others, like Wandering Daisy I haven't met but I actually found her footprints from two days before on one of my Emigrant trips. I can't say thank you often enough to each and every one of you. Flamingo's detour looks highly enticing indeed! And Balzacom's permit advice did the trick. I logged in at 7am sharp and snagged the permit I needed.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

I don't have much experience in that stretch of the Sierra, but I will second the recommendation for 60 Lakes Basin. It provides a very interesting contrast to the Rae Lakes. I saw approximately 50 people in the Rae Lakes and saw 2 people in 60 Lakes.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com