New Sierra Backpacker - April/May Suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: New Sierra Backpacker - April/May Suggestions

Post by TxAggie »

Thank you!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

J0han wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:35 pm I've been reading this topic and we too want to go do an early 3 night backpack trip, but already want to start this sunday/monday :)
It depends what you're looking for. The trip is certainly doable, it just doesn't sound particularly pleasant to me. High of 45, windy, rain/snow mix off and on. I'd rather day hike the whole Yosemite North rim and then go back to a warm & cozy hotel, than spend several nights in those conditions. But to each their own.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by TxAggie »

Well it looks like January snow finally hit Desolation Wilderness and the snow levels will now likely be more than I want to tackle with my daughter joining me.
I keep reading comments saying to call the Ranger stations for updates. Is this really a normal practice? I ask because this isn’t really a normal practice in the Mid-Atlantic. There aren’t many Ranger stations here to begin with, the one exception might be to call Shenandoah to see if Skyline Drive is open to cars.
When I call, do I ask for someone in particular, or is most anyone who answers normally able to know the conditions in the area I call? Thanks again for any input.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

"google" Desolation Wilderness and you get all the information you need including phone number. There are two management units depending on which trailhead you use. They are good about transferring you or giving you the number of the appropriate office if you tell them where you want to go.

"google" Yosemite National Park Wilderness Office and you will find the phone number. The office is in Yosemite Valley, wilderness center, and I think their office hours are 8-4 weekdays (PDT). Hours are posted on the web-site. They also issue permits so may not pick up the phone the first hour they are open. Before you call, spend some time on their web-sites because a lot of information is out there that may answer your question about trails from the valley as well as Hetch-Hetchy trails. I have found that if you leave a message, they sometimes do not call back. Keep trying until you get a person. They do not know about all trail conditions. Sometimes you just have to go out and see. But they are well versed on what is open, what is not, rules, etc.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Here is the phone number for the So Lake Tahoe USFS office:
(530) 543-2600
I haven't called in a while, but I think if you hit 'zero' a few times, you'll reach a real person.
That office usually has the best beta on Deso.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by TxAggie »

I called today about the loop and got Jack on the phone, really nice guy. Said he didn’t think Tiltill had been reopened yet. About 5 minutes later he called me back to say they just got a notice that TilTill was reopening today.

Really nice of him to call me back, sometimes timing is everything.
Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:58 pm I am not sure the entire Vernon Lake Loop (what you had planned first) would work. There was a big fire (Tiltill Fire) last year and according to Yosemite website, the trail is closed between Tiltill Valley and Vernon Lake. But the fire is out, so it would only be a matter of fallen logs. If that is your plan, call Yosemite Wilderness and ask about the condition of the trail through the burn or if it is even open yet.

If you start in the morning you can get all the way to Vernon Lake, like I did. Vernon is more scenic than Vernon Lake.

There is a trip report you should read (by giantbrookie). I will try to put a link here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21487
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I hope all you folks contemplating April trips consider the avalanche danger. Even though most agencies have stopped issuing avalanche forecasts, the danger is quite high right now, and will remain elevated into the weekend. Give the snow some time to settle and get used to the intense April sunshine.

https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

c9h13no3 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:15 am avalanche danger
From the NWS:

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx. ... mGDhoXMKUk
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by TxAggie »

The recent snows are what caused me to change plans away from Desolation.
J0han
Topix Novice

Post by J0han »

We went from Tuesday to Thursday to Little Yosemite Valley. Slightly chilly but made fires in the evening. Tuesday we only had an occasional drizzle of rain while going up and Wednesday was sunny but snowing started on Thursday morning when we were heading out/just before packing. Very beautiful but a bit slippery on the rocks sometimes. Could simply have put on crampons though.